IBM Research - India
Arun Kumar is a Senior Researcher and manages the Cognitive Solutions research group at the New Delhi facility of IBM Research-India. His group is creating new solutions in finance domain and in IT support services building on top of IBM Watson technology.
In 2011, he was Associate General Co-Chair for International World Wide Web Conference 2011, Hyderabad, India. He is also credited with originating the vision, concept and basic architecture of Spoken Web (also known as World Wide Telecom Web (WWTW)).
In the past, he has led and contributed to several research projects. Prior to Spoken Web, he led the later half of Synthy -- a project for enabling semi-automated, end to end composition of web services. In 2006, he led the Transaction Process Monitoring project for monitoring transactions in IT systems in the absence of domain knowledge. Prior to that, he contributed to and technically led projects in web services, grid computing, eUtilities, and access control. He spent the summers of 2002 and 2003 at IBM T. J. Watson Research Lab, Yorktown Heights, New York.
In a previous life, he worked briefly as a Software Engineer with Hughes Software Systems (now Aricent), Gurgaon, India in the domain of Advanced Intelligent Networks. Earlier, he was a member of Distributed Object Systems Group at Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) where he worked on access control based security models.
Analytics, HCI, Semantic Web technologies, Services Computing, ICT4D, Distributed Systems and Programming Languages.
South Africa, France, Ireland, USA, Japan, China, Canada, Qatar
-Carnegie Mellon University
-Indian Institute of Technology Madras
-University of Zurich
-Max Planck Institute for Software Systems
Awards and Honors
-IBM Research Division Accomplishment - 2013
-IBM Client Value Innovation Award - 2011
-IBM Sixth Plateau Award - 2011
-IBM Outstanding Innovation Award (OIA) - 2010
-IBM Research Division Accomplishment - 2008
-National Award in the category of “Best Applied Research/Technical Innovation Aimed at Improving the Life of Persons with Disabilities" Given by President of India (Team Award for Spoken Web
-mBillionth Award South Asia (mInclusion Category)
Manthan Award South Asia 2008 in the special 'Juror's Distinction Category' (Team Award)
Invited Talks / Panels
-Invited Talk, "Spoken Web", International World Wide Web Conference 2011, Hyderabad, India
-Panel Connecting the Next Billion Web Users at International World Wide Web Conference 2011.
-Rajeev Rastogi, Yahoo! Labs Bangalore (Moderator)
-Ed Cutrell, Microsoft Research India
-Arun Kumar, IBM Research India
-Ashok Jhunjhunwala, IIT Madras
-Rajeev Sangal, IIIT Hyderabad
-Paritosh Malaviya, Yahoo! Bangalore
-“From Synthy to Spoken Web - Experiences with End User and Enterprise Compositions on the Web” at 3rd Workshop on Mashups, Enterprise Mashups and Lightweight Composition on the Web (MEM 2010) in International World Wide Conference 2010 (WWW), Raleigh, NC, USA.
-Invited Talk : "Spoken Web" to
-Invited Talk : “The World Wide Telecom Web” at International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, February 2008.
-Department Talk cum Industrial Lecture on “The World Wide Telecom Web” at Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), Chennai, India, Jan 2008.
-Invited Talk: “Semantics in Service Oriented Computing” at Institute for System Studies and Analysis (ISSA), Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), Metcalfe House, New Delhi, India, August 2007.
- Program Committee Member, W4A 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Program Committee Member, DEXA 2013, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Program Committee Member ASSETS 2012, Boulder, Colorado.
- Program Committee Member, Industry Track, WWW 2012, Lyon, France.
- Program Committee Member, DEXA 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Program Committee Member, W4A 2012, Lyon, France.
- Program Committee Member ASSETS 2011, Dundee, Scotland.
Conference Chair : Associate General Co-Chairfor 20th International World Wide Web Conference, 2011, Hyderabad, India.
- Program Committee Member, DEXA 2011, Toulouse, France.
- Program Committee Member, W4A 2011, Hyderabad, India.
- Industry Chair: India HCI, March 2010
- Program Committee Member, ACM SAC 2010
- Workshop Co-Chair: Workshop on Culture and Technologies for Social Interaction at Interact 2009
- Program Committee Member: First International Conference on Mobile Development (mDevelopment 2009)
- W3C Mobile Web For Social Development Interest Group (MW4D)
- Program Committee Member: The Joint International Workshop on Metamodels, Ontologies, Semantic Technologies, and Information Systems for the Semantic Web (MOST-ONISW 2009) at ER 2009
- Program Committee Member: The Third International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing (SEMAPRO 2009)
- Program Committee Member: The 20th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2009)
- Program Committee Member: 2nd Intl. Conf. on Advances in Human-oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services (CENTRIC 2009)
- Program Committee Member: ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2009)
- Tutorial: Sheetal K Aggarwal, Arun Kumar, Amit Nanavati and Nitendra Rajput The World Wide Telecom Web, IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technologies (SLT), Goa, INDIA, December, 2008.
- Tutorial: D. Janakiram and Arun Kumar, “Service Oriented Software Development - Moving Beyond Objects”, First India Software Engineering Conference (ISEC), IIIT Hyderabad, AP, INDIA, 19-22 February, 2008.
- Panel: Co-organized a Panel on “Information Uptrieval for Developing Regions” at World Wide Web Conference, Beijing, China, 2008.
- The 2nd International workshop on Ontologies and Information Systems for the Semantic Web (ONISW 2008) at CIKM 2008
- 1st Intl. Conf. on Advances in Human-oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services (CENTRIC 2008)
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2008)
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2007)
- Ph.D. in CSE - Pursuing from IIT Madras, India
- Master of Technology in CSE, IIT Madras, India
- Master of Computer Sc., ICSE, DAVV, Indore, M.P., India
- Bachelor of Computer Sc., University of Delhi, India