Projects and Groups
- Analytics and Mobile Enabled Solutions - IBM Research India
- Cognitive Solutions and Services - IBM Research India
- Spoken Web
Nitendra Rajput defines and leads the MobileFirst agenda for IBM Research in India. His group invests in developing research technologies that can add value and help differentiate the IBM Mobile portfolio, be it a product, a service or an industry specific solution. In 2014, he has been focussing on automated mobile testing, mobile performance analytics, mobile sensing and the mobile education technologies. His personal interest is to build novel interaction systems, mostly focusing on the mobile platform.
Nitendra also drives the global IBM research strategy for MobileFirst by collaborating with research labs across Latin America, Asia and Europe.
On the technical front, he is broadly interested in mobile interactions, HCI, statistical signal processing, recommender systems and multimodal search. He had been active in building speech based solutions for low-literate users in the past. He has delivered several tutorials and conducted workshops in the mobile and speech areas at top ACM venues (MobileHCI, IUI, CSCW, CHI). Nitendra is an IBM Master Inventor and an IBM Academy of Technology member.
In 2012, he authored a book with Amit Anil Nanavati titled "Speech in Mobile and Pervasive Environments" that has been published by John Wiley & Sons.
Professional Activities for 2015:
- ACM Distinguished Scientist
- IEEE Senior Member
- Special Interests Events Chair, ACM Delhi Chapter.
- PC Chair for India HCI 2015.
- Program Committee member for Interact 2015.
- Scientific Committee Member for Interspeech 2015.
- Program Committee Member for ICTD 2015.
- Associate Editor for EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech and Music Processing.
- Program Committee Member for SSPA 2015.
- Invited speaker at IHCI 2015.
- Invited speaker at 8th Annual Rural Marketing: The Dramatic Shift.
Recent Faculty Collaborations:
- Prof. Matt Jones, Swansea University, UK on the topic of using haptic interaction techniques on low-end mobile phones.
- Prof. Doug Oard, University of Maryland, College Park, USA on the topic of spoken web search.
- Prof. Anirudha Joshi, Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India on multimodal interaction using low-end mobile devices.
- Prof. Jignesh Khakhar, National Institute of Design, India on user research for low-literate users.
- Prof. Chris Jermaine, Rice University, USA on scalable recommender system for spoken web.
- Joseph, S.L.; Xiao, J.; Zhang, X.; Chawda, B.; Narang, K.; Rajput, N.; Mehta, S.; Subramaniam, L.V., "Being Aware of the World: Toward Using Social Media to Support the Blind With Navigation," IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 2015, vol.PP, no.99, pp1-7.
- Amit Mohan, Prasenjit Dey, Nitendra Rajput, "EduBay: A Mobile-based, Location-aware Context Sharing Platform," MobiQuitous 2013.
- Jerome White, Doug Oard, Nitendra Rajput, Marion Zalk, "Simulating Early-Termination Search for Verbose Spoken Queries," EMNLP 2013.
- Jennifer Pearson, Simon Robinson, Matt Jones, Amit Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, "ACQR: Acoustic Quick Response Codes for Content Sharing on Low End Phones with No Internet Connectivity," MobileHCI 2013 (Best Paper Honorable Mention).
- Liam Betsworth, Matt Jones, Nitendra Rajput, Saurabh Srivastava, "Audvert: Using Spatial Audio to Gain a Sense of Place," Interact 2013.
- Martha Larson, Nitendra Rajput, Abhigyan Singh, Saurabh Srivastava, "I want to be Sachin Tendulkar! A Spoken English Cricket Game for Rural Students," CSCW 2013.
- Mahelaqua Alam, Sara Basson, John Thomas, Nitendra Rajput, Kundan Shrivastava, Saurabh Srivastava, "Community Oriented Spoken Web Browser for Low-literate Users" CSCW 2013.
- Singh Yajuvendraa, Surender S. Lathwala, Nitendra Rajput, Thiruvothur V. Rajac, Ashok K. Guptac, Tushar K. Mohantya, Anand P. Ruhild, Atish K. Chakravarty, Prakash C. Sharma, Vijay Sharma, Gulab Chandra, "Effective and accurate discrimination of individual dairy cattle through acoustic sensing," Elsiver Journal on Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 146 (2013) 11–18.
- Niketan Pansare, Chris Jermaine, Peter Haas, Nitendra Rajput, "Topic Models over Spoken Language" ICDM 2012.
- Jerome White, Krishna Kummamuru, Nitendra Rajput, "Expansion Methods for Job-Candidate Matching Amidst Unreliable and Sparse Data," , COLING 2012.
- Om Deshmukh, Nitendra Rajput, S. S. Lathwal, Yajuvendra Singh, "Vocalization Patterns of Dairy Animals to Detect Animal State," ICPR 2012.
- Florian Metze, Nitendra Rajput, Xavier Anguera, Marelie Davel, Guillaume Gravier, Charl van Heerden, Gautam V. Mantena, Armando Muscariello, Kishore Prahallad, Igor Szöke, Javier Tejedor, "The Spoken Web Search Task at MediaEval 2011," ICASSP 2012.
- Jitendra Ajmera, Om D Deshmukh, Anupam Jain, Amit Anil Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, Saurabh Srivastava. "Audio Cloud: Creation and Rendering," IUI 2012.
- Saurabh Shrivastava, Nitendra Rajput, Gururaj Mahajan, "SWAicons: Spoken Web Audio icons: Design, Implications and Evaluation," CSCW 2012.
- Shrey Sahay, Nitendra Rajput, Niketan Pansare, "Social Ranking for Spoken Web Search,", CIKM 2011.
- S. Robinson, N. Rajput, M. Jones, A. Jain, S. Sahay, A. Nanavati, "TapBack: Towards Richer Mobile Interfaces in Impoverished Contexts," CHI 2011.
- J. Ajmera, A. Joshi, S. Mukherjee, N. Rajput, S. Sahay, M. Shrivastava, K. Shrivastava, "Two Stream Indexing for Spoken Web Search," 20th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW 2011.
- Ketki Dhanesha, Nitendra Rajput, Kundan Srivastava, "User Driven Audio Content Navigation for Spoken Web," ACM Multimedia 2010.
- Sheetal K. Agarwal, Anupam Jain, Arun Kumar, Nitendra Rajput, "The World Wide Telecom Web Browser," ACM Dev 2010.
- Mamadou Diao, Sougata Mukherjea, Nitendra Rajput, Kundan Srivastava, "Faceted Search and Browsing of Audio Content on Spoken Web," CIKM 2010.
- Sheetal Agarwal, Ketki Dhanesha, Anupam Jain, Abhishek Kumar, Srijit Menon, Nitendra Rajput, Kundan Srivastava, Saurabh Srivastava, "Organizational, Social and Operational Implications in Delivering ICT Solutions: A Telecom Web Case-study," ICTD 2010.
- Robert Farrell, Nitendra Rajput, Rajarshi Das, Catalina Danis, and Ketki Dhanesha, "Social Navigation for the Spoken Web," ACM RecSys 2010.
- Robert Farrell, Rajarshi Das, Nitendra Rajput, "Social Navigation through the Spoken Web: Improving Audio Access through Collaborative Filtering in Gujarat, India," AI-D symposium at AAAI 2010.
- Neil Patel, Sheetal K. Agarwal, Nitendra Rajput, Amit Anil Nanavati, Paresh Dave, Tapan S. Parikh, "A comparative study of speech and dialed input voice interfaces in rural india," CHI 2009 (note).
- Sheetal Agarwal, Arun Kumar, Amit Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, "Content Creation and Dissemination by-and-for Users in Rural Areas," ICTD 2009.
- Arun Kumar, Dipanjan Chakraborty, Himanshu Chauhan, Sheetal Agarwal, Nitendra Rajput, "FOLKSOMAPS: Towards Community Driven Intelligent Maps for Developing Regions," ICTD 2009.
- Neil Patel, Sheetal Agarwal, Nitendra Rajput, Amit Anil Nanavati, Paresh Dave, Tapan S. Parikh, "Experiences Designing a Voice Interface for Rural India,", SLT 2008.
- Nitendra Rajput, Sheetal Agarwal, Arun Kumar, Amit Anil Nanavati, "An Alternative Information Web for Visually Impaired Users in Developing Countries,", ASSETS 2008. (poster).
- Arun Kumar, Nitendra Rajput, Sheetal K Agarwal, Dipanjan Chakraborty, Amit A Nanavati, "Organizing the Unorganized - Employing IT to Empower the Under-privileged," WWW 2008.
- Sheetal Agarwal, Arun Kumar, Amit Anil Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, "The World Wide Telecom Web Browser," WWW 2008 (poster).
- Sheetal Agarwal, Arun Kumar, Amit Anil Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, "VoiKiosk: Increasing Reachability of Kiosks in Developing Regions," WWW 2008 (poster).
- Sheetal K Agarwal, Arun Kumar, Sougata Mukherjea, Amit A Nanavati, Nitendra Rajput, "Raising a Billion Voices," ACM Interactions Magazine, March-April 2008.
- Sheetal K Agarwal, Dipanjan Chakraborty, Swati Challa, Nanda Kambhatla, Arun Kumar, Sougata Mukherjea, Amit A Nanavati, and Nitendra Rajput, "Pyr.mea.IT: Permeating IT Towards the Base of the Pyramid," ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, January 2008.