Arun Iyengar does research, development, and consulting into distributed computing, cloud computing, Web performance, as well as fault-tolerant computing and high availability at IBM's T.J. Watson Research Center. His work involves computer science research leading to publications and patents as well as software engineering leading to products, customer solutions, and open source software.
Arun's work has been incorporated into several products (by IBM and other companies) as well as commonly used open source software. His caching and load balancing techniques are widely used to improve performance for Web sites and distributed applications. He has also developed widely used techniques for dynamically generating Web content which have been incorporated into Web content management systems as well as a widely used method for preserving state on the Web without using cookies.
Arun has recently developed the following software:
- His Universal Data Store Manager (UDSM) allows a computer program to access multiple data stores including file systems, SQL stores, NoSQL stores, and caches. A common interface is provided to make it easy for an application to easily switch between different data stores. The UDSM allows the performance of different data stores to be monitored, and a workload generator allows the performance of different data stores to be easily compared. Encryption is provided for data confidentiality, and compression is provided to reduce data sizes.
- Enhanced data store clients (particularly for cloud-based data stores) which provide caching, encryption, and compression capabilities. His data store client library can be used for a broad range of applications in which these features are needed.
Arun is an IEEE Fellow, has won several Best Paper awards (see Selected Publications and/or Technical Work), has received the IFIP Silver Core Award, and has been named an IBM Master Inventor multiple times.
- PhD in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), National Science Foundation Graduate Fellow
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- BA Summa Cum Laude and with Distinction in Chemistry (with a minor in Computer Science), University of Pennsylvania
Research Community Leadership
- Founding Co-Editor-in-Chief, ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB)
- Executive Committee Member and former Chair, IEEE Computer Society's Technical Committee on the Internet (TCI)
- Program Co-Chair, Fourth IEEE Workshop on Hot Topics in Web Systems and Technologies (HotWeb 2016)
- Editorial Board Member, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
- Editorial Board Member, IEEE Internet Computing
- Vice Chair and Secretary, IW3C2
- Panels Co-Chair, 2014 International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2014)
- General Co-Chair, 22nd ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2013)
- Founding Chair, IBM Research Web Professional Interest Community (Web PIC)
- Editorial Board Member, Foundations and Trends in Web Science
- IEEE Computer Society representative to the International Federation for Information Processing Technical Committee 6 on Communication Systems (IFIP TC 6), 1999-2011
- Co-Chair, IBM Research Distributed and Fault-Tolerant Computing Professional Interest Community (D&FTC PIC), 2008-2010
- Program Vice Chair in charge of Performance, Scalability, and Availability, 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2009)
- General Co-Chair, 2006 International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2006)
- Guest Editor, World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems, vol. 8 #2, June 2005
- Tutorials and Workshops Co-Chair, 2004 International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2004)
- Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), vol. 15 #4, July/August 2003
- Practice and Experience Track Chair, 2003 International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2003)
- Program Co-Chair, 2002 IFIP Workshop on Internet Technologies, Applications, and Societal Impact (WITASI 2002)
- Program Co-Chair, 2002 International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2002)
- Program Vice Chair in charge of Performance, Reliability and Scalability, 10th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW10)
- Program Vice Chair in charge of Performance, 9th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW9)
- General Chair, 1999 IEEE Workshop on Internet Applications (WIAPP '99)