- CNNA 2010
- Call for papers: Cellular wave computing via nanoscale chip architectures
- CNNA 2012
- Identical Synchronization
- Generalized Pigeonhole Principle
- Accidental Desultory Cogitations
- EEWeb interview
I currently manage a group of researchers in the Business Analytics and Mathematical Sciences department developing innovative solutions for energy and environmental measurement and monitoring in buildings and data centers, intelligent transportation management, smart grids, and memory subsystems for high performance computing. Previously I have managed the Intelligent Energy Management group, the Distributed Digital Media Infrastructure group and the Foundations of Mathematics group.
- Foundations of nonlinear circuits & systems theory
- Dynamics in coupled networks of oscillators
- Synchronization of chaos
- Application of chaos to information processing
- Distributed video streaming
- Digital halftoning
- Document and multimedia security
- Algebraic graph theory
- Ph.D. electrical engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1995.
- M.A. mathematics, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1994.
- M.S. electrical engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1991.
- B.S. computer engineering/B.A. cognitive science, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA, 1990.
Professional activities, Awards and Honors
- Member, AMS.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Electronic and Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Webmaster/Social Media/Publicity Chair, IEEE Mid-Hudson Section. (Google sites) (Facebook) (blogger) (twitter)
- Board of Governors, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, 2010-2011.
- General co-chair, 12th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, 2010.
- General co-chair, 13th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, 2012.
- Organizing Committee Member, 9th International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, 2012.
- Organizing Committee Member, SIAM 2013 Annual Meeting.
- Organizing Committee Member, IMA Hot Topics Workshop: Mathematical and Computational Challenges in the Control, Optimization, and Design of Energy-Efficient Buildings, June 11-14, 2013.
- Senior Editorial Board Member, IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2014-2015.
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, 2014-2015.
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactionson Circuits and Systems, Part I, 1997-1999, 2002-2003, 2006-2007.
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactionson Circuits and Systems, Part II, 2004-2005.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, 2012-2013.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Nonlinear Circuits and Systems.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and Array Computing(Chairman: 2009-2010).
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Sensor Systems.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Multimedia Systems and Applications.
- Review Committee Member, IEEE ISCAS, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Session Chair, IS&T's NIP, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- Session Chair, IEEE ISCAS, 2002, 2004-2005, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Technical Committee Member, IEEE ICME2003, INDS 2008, INDS 2009.
- Industry mentor, MathematicalModeling Workshop, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota,2005,2006, 2008, 2011.
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society's Distinguished Lecturer, 2006-2007
- ABET EAC program evaluator, 2006-
- Digital Media Judge, Imagine Cup 2010 Finals.
- Moody's Mega Math Challenge Judge, 2011-2014.
- Holder of over 60 U.S. Patents.
- IEEE R1 Technological Innovation Award, 2013.
Invited lectures and workshop presentations
- "Control of Complex Networks of Coupled Dynamical Systems", 2012 International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks", University of Minnesota, September 5-7, 2012.
- "Locally Connected Processor Arrays for Matrix Multiplication and Linear Transforms", Seminar Series on Chaos, Control and Complex Networks, City University of Hong Kong, May 18, 2012.
- "Some Aspects of Multicoverage in Sensor Networks", Wireless and Optical Communications Conference, New Jersey Institute of Technology, April 15-16, 2011.
- "Can stubbornness or gullibility facilitate language formation? A study of various strategies for reaching consensus in a model of the naming game", Computer Science Colloquium, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, March 3, 2011.
- "More is More: the benefits of denser sensor deployment", Hong Kong CityU-PolyU Joint Seminar Series on Chaos and Complex Networks, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, HongKong, September 30, 2010.
- "Some graph-theoretical criteria for control in networks of dynamical systems", Invited lecture, 2010 International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Beijing, China, September 25-27, 2010.
- "Transformational Hybrid Systems: The Next Generation of System Architecture", Keynote talk, 12th IEEE CNNA, International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, Berkeley, CA, Feb 3-5, 2010.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2009" and "Synchronization and consensus in networks of coupled nonlinear circuits and systems," EECS/CASE Colloquium, Syracuse University, Oct. 14, 2009.
- "Graph Laplacian Matrices and Multipartite Entanglement in Quantum Mechanics," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom, July 20-22, 2009.
- "Sensor placement and coverage: tools from geometry and image processing,"Keynote talk, MITACS Workshop on Decision Support, Information Fusion and Sensor Networks, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, June 18-19, 2009.
- "Controland synchronization in systems coupled via a complex network," Hong Kong CityU-PolyU Joint Seminar Series on Chaos and Complex Networks, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, May 29, 2009.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2008," Presentations given at Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Peter Pazmany Catholic University, Budapest, Hungary, Dec4-5, 2008.
- "Localization of forcing sites to facilitate synchronization in systems coupled via a complex network," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Canberra, Australia, Oct1-3, 2008.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2008," Keynote talk, IEEE 11th International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks and their Applications (CNNA 2008),Santiago de Compostela, Spain, July 16, 2008.
- "Digital Halftoning and Sensor Placement," BIRS Workshop on Low Complexity Dynamics, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May29, 2008.
- "SensorPlacement and Digital Halftoning," ComputerScience Colloquium, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, February 28, 2008.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2007," Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, October 15, 2007.
- "Synchrony and consensus in complex networks: an overview," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Guilin, China, July 19-21, 2007.
- "Identical Synchronization in Networks of Coupled Nonlinear Circuits and Systems," IEEE CAS Distinguished Lecturer Seminar, University of Calgary, Calgary,Alberta, Canada, May 11, 2007.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2007: How will it affect the workplace? How can we prepare for it?," SVC Lecture Series to Envision the Workplace of the Future: Its Technology, Design, and its Challenges to Employees, Southern Vermont College, Bennington, VT, March 22, 2007.
- "Algorithms for digital halftoning," The Twenty-Second Annual Mathematical Problems in Industry Workshop, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering,Needham, MA, June 12-16, 2006.
- "Some techniques for speeding up digital halftoning algorithms," BIRS workshop on Coarsely Quantized Redundant Representation of Signals,Banff, Alberta, Canada, March 11-16, 2006.
- "The optimality of the greedy algorithm in Carpool and Chairman Assignment Problems," Workshop on Geometric Dynamics with Singularities, Exeter, UK, Dec 13-16,2005.
- "Synchronization and consensus in networks of systems with nonreciprocal coupling," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Hong Kong, May 20, 2005.
- "The error diffusion halftoning algorithm: some stability results and applications beyond halftoning," Oversampling and Coarse Quantization for Signals Workshop, CSCAMM, University of Maryland, April 11-15,2005.
- "Halftoning, Watermarking and Scheduling: Some Applications of the Error Diffusion Algorithm," IMA/MCIM Industrial Problems Seminar, University of Minnesota,Oct. 15, 2004.
- "Global Asymptotical Stability of Neural Networks with Delay," ECE Lectures Series, Polytechnic University, Sept. 30,2004.
- "Synchronization in arrays of systems coupled via a graph:time-varying, nonreciprocal and delay coupling," International workshop onnonlinear dynamics and complexity in information and communication technology, Bologna, Italy, Sept 6-8, 2004.
- "Error diffusion: recent developments in theory and applications", Harmonic Analysis and Signal Processing Seminar, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University,Feb 11, 2004.
- C. W. Wu, Synchronization in complex networks of nonlinear dynamical systems, World Scientific, Singapore, 2007. (Table of contents, Preface, Chapter 1, Errata)
- C. W. Wu, Synchronization in coupled chaotic circuits and systems, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002. (Table of contents, Preface, Chapter 1)
- T. Nowicki, M. S. Squillante and C. W. Wu, "Fundamentals of Dynamic Decentralized Optimization in Autonomic Computing Systems," in Self-star Properties in Complex Information Systems: Conceptual and Practical Foundations, (O. Babaoglu, M. Jelasity, A. Montresor, et al. eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Hot Topics, vol. 3460, pp. 204-218, Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- C. W. Wu, ``Synchronization in Arrays of Coupled Chaotic Circuits and Systems: Theory and Applications,'' in Controlling Chaos and Bifurcations in Engineering Systems (G. Chen ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999.
- C. W. Wu, "Qualitative Analysis of Dynamic Circuits,'' in Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (J. Webster ed.), John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
- M. P. Kennedy and C. W. Wu, ``ABC: Adventures in Bifurcation and Chaos'', software accompanying Chua's circuit: A paradigm for Chaos (R. N. Madan, ed.), World Scientific, Singapore, 1993.
- Innovation Matters website about halftoning and its applications
- Article about digital halftoning in IBM research magazine.
- Biography appears in Marquis Who's Who in America, editions 2003-, Marquis Who's Who in Scienceand Engineering, editions 8th-.