Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM SIGIR | ACM SIGKDD | W3C - World Wide Web Consortium
News: I left IBM on June 7, 2013. After that, I will join LinkedIn. My new homepage will be launched soon. Please contact me at vela1027 AT GMAIL during the gap.
After PhD graduation, I have 5+ years of working experience on developing effective and efficient data analysis techniques for state-of-the-art data intensive applications like recommender systems, heterogeneous information networks, social networks and event detection etc. My current research interests cover Information Retrieval/Extraction, Data/Text Mining, Social Network Analysis, Web Search and Mining, as well as Applied Machine Learning techniques. I have also published actively at top venues in these areas.
- Entity-level Information Network
- Event-based Social Network (EBSN)
- Context-aware Citation Recommendation
- Guest lecture, "Machine learning in Deep Q&A - when search engine encounters long query". Carnegie Mellon University (Silicon Valley Campus), Nov 20, 2012.
- General Co-chair, the 22nd ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2013)
- Guest Editor, ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology special issue on Linking Social Granularity and Functions: From Links, Communities and Social Patterns to their Functions, 2013.
- Publicity Chair, the 21st ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2012)
- Founding Co-chair, the 1st, 2nd Large Scale Network Analysis workshop (LSNA-WWW) held in conjunction with WWW 2012, WWW 2013
- Workshop Co-chair, the 6th SNA-KDD (Social Network Mining and Analysis) workshop held in conjunction with SIGKDD 2012
- Workshop Co-chair, the 4th SNA-KDD (Social Network Mining and Analysis) workshop held in conjunction with SIGKDD 2010
- Journal Reviewer: ACM TOIS transaction, IEEE TKDE transaction, ACM TOMCCAP transaction, ACM TIST transaction, Social Network Analysis and Mining, WWW Journal, KAIS journal, DKE journal and Program-Manuscript Central etc.
- Senior Program Committee Member: CIKM 2012
- Session Chairs: CIKM 2012 (KM Track: Learning and Knowledge Discovery and IR Track: Social Networks)
- Program Committee Member: WWW 2013, SIGIR 2012-2013, SIGKDD 2012-2013, IJCAI 2013, Society 2013, IEEE Big Data 2013, SRII 2012, CaRR 2012, PAKDD 2012-2013, APWeb 2012-2013, MDS 2012, SIGKDD 2012 demonstration, best paper election committee of 2011 INFORMS etc.
- Panelist: NSF (National Science Foundation), Division of Information and Intelligent Systems Panel, 2012.
- Exploiting Hybrid Contexts for Tweet Segmentation. Chenliang Li, Aixin Sun, Jianshu Weng, Qi He. SIGIR (research track, full paper), 2013.
- Event-based Social Networks: Linking the Online and Offline Social Worlds. Xingjie Liu, Qi He, Yuanyuan Tian, Wang-Chien Lee, John McPherson and Jiawei Han. SIGKDD (research track, full paper), 2012.
- TwiNER: Unsupervised Named Entity Recognition in Targeted Twitter Stream. Chenliang Li, Jianshu Weng, Qi He, Yuxia Yao, Anwitaman Datta, Aixin Sun, Bu-Sung Lee. SIGIR (research track, full paper), 2012.
- A Scalable Approach for Performing Proximal Search for Verbose Queries. Sumit Bhatia, Bin He, Qi He and Scott Spangler. CIKM, 2012.
- Prospective Client Driven Technology Recommendation. Qi He, Scott Spangler, Bin He, Ying Chen and Linda Kato. Service Research and Innovation Institute Global Conference 2012 (SRII).
- IBM Almaden Service Research Best Paper Award, 2012
- IBM Invention Achievement Award, 2012
- Best Application Paper Award, the 14th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (SIGKDD 2008)
- Microsoft Research Fellowship, 2006
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in College of Information Sciences and Technology (CiteSeerX project), Pennsylvania State University (PSU), Dec 2008 - Aug 2010
- Research Intern in Web Search and Mining Group (WSM), Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA), Aug 2007 - Jan 2008
- PhD in School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Jan 2005 - Aug 2008
Most Recent Research Community Activities
Most Recent Publications