Long Vu received his Ph.D. at the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois in 2010. He joined Multimedia Operating Systems and Networking (MONET) group in 2006. His Ph.D. thesis advisor was Professor Klara Nahrstedt.
Research Interest: Measurement, Characterization, and Modeling of Distributed Networked Systems, including mobile peer-to-peer networks, multimedia streaming systems, large-scale enterprise networks.
HONOR and AWARD
- 2012: Vietnam Education Foundation Fellow Association (VEFFA) Scientific Award
- 2011: Mark Weiser Best Paper Award, International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (IEEE PerCom 2011, acceptance rate 11%, http://www.percom.org/?q=markweiser)
- 2008: First prize in Computing Habitat Programming Competition, awarded by the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2007: Student Travel Grant awarded by Military Communications Conference. Orlando, Florida, US.
- 2006: Best project (CS598IG: Advanced Topics in Distributed Systems - graduate level course at UIUC)
- 2004: Vietnam Education Foundation Fellowship for Ph.D. study in United States
- 2001: Second prize at Students' Scientific Research Conference, awarded by College of Technology
- 2000: An Exemplary of Vietnam National University (VNU) at Hanoi awarded by the President of VNU for the excellent academic results
- 1999: Diploma of Merit for excellent results in the studies and social activities, offered by the President of College of Technology
- 1999: Scholarship for the best student of Physics Department, Hanoi University of Natural Science, sponsored by HASEBE, Japanese Bank Foundation
- 1998: Scholarship for the best student of Physics Department, Hanoi University of Natural Science, sponsored by HASEBE, Japanese Bank Foundation
1. New Scientist Magazine, "'Pre-social network' finds you friends in your hang-outs",( http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228405.900-presocial-network-finds-you-friends-in-your-hangouts.html and http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228403.300-taking-the-chance-out-of-chance-encounters.html)
2. London Daily Mail, "Phone app which tells you where to find a new love or people who share your interests" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2065489/Phone-app-tells-new-love-people-share-interests.html)
3. Yahoo News,"'Minority Report' style pre-social network finds you friends in your hangouts" (http://in.news.yahoo.com/minority-report-style-pre-social-network-finds-friends-122735722.html)
4. Crazy Engineers,"Pre-Social Network ‘Jyotish’ Predicts Where You Are Going" (http://www.crazyengineers.com/pre-social-network-jyotish-predicts-where-you-are-going-1356/)
SOFTWARE & TRACE RELEASE
1. PPCrawler Live source code and trace have 1700+ downloads from 40+ countries worldwide since 2008, http://dprg.cs.uiuc.edu/downloads.
2. University of Illinois Movement (UIM) Trace (Wifi and Bluetooth traces of Google Android phones), http://dprg.cs.uiuc.edu/downloads.