- Computer Science
- Artificial Intelligence
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- User Interface Technologies
I am a researcher at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. I also hold an adjunct faculty position at the Columbia University in the City of New York. I received my PhD from UIUC, M.Phil. from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and bachelor degree from the University of Science and Technology of China.
I am interested in research problems related to computer vision and social media. More specifically, I am curious with the the following questions:
- Can computer vision outperform human vision?
- Can a computer have surprising discovery from social media which is unknown to human being?
- Can a computer answer questions as reliably as human experts?
We used to think these tasks are impossible. However, in the era of big data and deep learning, we have seen more and more evidences that suggest a new answer.
- James Fan and I will teach "deep learning for computer vision and natural language processing" at Columbia University in the spring of 2015. Theao will be the main programming envioment in this class. More details coming soon. A tentative course description is here.