Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM Distinguished Speaker | Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) | The International Association for Ontology and its Applications | W3C - World Wide Web Consortium
Chris Welty is a research scientist at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in New York. Before coming to IBM, he taught computer science at Vassar College and at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he received a Ph.D. in 1995. Before moving to industrial research, he accumulated more than 14 years of teaching experience.
Dr. Welty is a recognized leader in the Semantic Web, where he has worked to advance semantic technology standards, and the use of semantic technology and linked open data in natural language processing. The most notable examples of this are in the Watson Question-Answering system itself, which uses RDF and Linked Data extensively. He has also served this community as co-chair of the W3C Rules Interchange Format Working Group (RIF), co-editor of the original OWL Guide, co-program chair of ISWC-2011, and the AI&Web track of AAAI-12. He is the current Human Language Technologies Area Editor for The Journal of Web Semantics.
Before the success of the Watson project, Dr. Welty was best known for his work on Ontologies, where he co-developed the Ontoclean methodology with Nicola Guarino. OntoClean was the first formal methodology for analyzing ontologies. He has served this community on the steering committee of the Formal Ontology in Information Systems Conferences, and as past president of Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Inc. He is on the editorial boards of AI Magazine, and The Journal of Applied Ontology.
Interesting Historical Notes
- Principle Investigator, DARPA Machine Reading Program RACR Project.
- Principle Investigator, Interoperable Knowledge Representation for Intelligence Support (IKRIS)
- President, Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Inc.
- Coordinator, Ontology Engineering and Patterns task force (OEP), of the W3C SWBP
- Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department, Vassar College
- Professore Visitatore, ISTC-CNR Laboratory for Applied Ontology
- Visiting Researcher, AT&T Labs-Research
- Steering Committee Chair, The Automated Software Engineering Conferences
- Editor in Chief, Intelligence Magazine (no longer published)
- The first Information Director, ACM SIGART (Special Interest Group in Artificial Intelligence)
- Ph.D., RPI Computer Science Department