Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA, USA
Ying Chen is a Research Staff Member, Master Inventor and manager in IBM Almaden Services Research. Ying received Ph.D from Computer Science Department at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1998. She has over 13 years of industry experience in established IBM research center and start-up company. Her current research focus is in Text Analytics and its application domains such as Social Media and Web analytics, patent and scientific literature analytics, bio- and chem-informatics and Service-Oriented Computing. She also has extensive backgrounds in storage systems, parallel and distributed computing, databases, performance evaluation and modeling.
Besides strong and diverse technical background, Ying has outstanding leadership, management and business development skills and experience. Ying has been in management and leadership position for over 10 years. At IBM Almaden Research Center, Ying grew a 3 people research team to a global research team close to 30 people collaborating and contributing on the analytics technologies in the past 6 years. The team delivered successful analytics solutions that are commercially available, including Business Insights Workbench, Corporate Brand and Reputation Analysis (COBRA) and IBM Patent Analytics Platform (also known as SIMPLE). Such solutions won numerous external clients and internal clients and generated significant revenue and business impacts for IBM.
Ying led the research team through the entire research and development lifecycle from the idea incubation to solution development and the final successful commercialization through transfer of such solutions to IBM business units such as IBM global service division and Software group or external business partners. Such work resulted in over 30 patents, numerous publications, and major awards such as Computer World Horizon award in 2006.
- Research Staff Member, Manager, IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA (04/1998 - 01/2001, 02/2003 -- Present)
- 2005 - present, Almaden Services Research, Led and managed the Business Analytics Services team in the information analytics space. Successfully built solutions such as COBRA and SIMPLE that have significantly attracted clients in the marketplace.
- 1998 - 2001, 2003 - 2005, Almaden Storage Research, Initiated projects on disaster recovery solutions and Information Lifecycle Management solutions. Designed, developed, and delivered the Low-end NAS product within IBM
- Principal engineer, Zambeel corporation, Fremont, CA (01/2001 - 12/2002)
PUBLICATIONS AND PATENTS
- More than 25 filed patents, 10 issued, 10 pending
- More than 30 papers published in conferences and journals.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998.
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995.
- B.S., Computer Science, University of Minnesota at Twin Cities, 1993.