Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM | Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) | IEEE
- Smart Traffic
- Smart Water
- Smart Tourism
- Smart Environment
- Smart Cities in India
- Semantics for Cities, Open Government Data
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Smart City
A major problem faced by global citizens today is sustainability and improvement of quality of life despite over-population and limited resources. As the world’s population increases and it puts increasing demands on the planet’s limited resources due to shifting life-styles, we not only need to monitor how we consume resources but also to optimize resource usage. Some examples of the planet’s limited resources are water, energy, land, food and air. Today, significant challenges exist for reducing usage of these resources, while maintaining quality of life. Smart city can mean a few things in this context. A city leader can make some picks:
- As a resource optimization objective, it is to know and manage a city's resources using data. IBM's 3I pitch (instrumentation, interconnection and intelligence) is in that direction.
- As a caring objective, it is about improving standard of life of citizens with health, safety, etc indices and programs.
- As a vitality objective, it is about generating employment and doing sustainable growth.
Some of the ongoing technical discussions I participate in happen here: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3451751.