- IPSJ Kiyasu Special Industrial Achievement Award (Koichi Takeda and Hiroshi Kanayama)
- 2012 Commendation for Science and Technology : "text mining technology" from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (Koichi Takeda, Seiji Hamada, Hideo Watanabe, Tetsuya Nasukawa and Hiroshi Kanayama)
- Best Paper Award, 11th Annual Meeting of The Association for Natural Language Processing (Hiroshi Kanayama and Tetsuya Nasukawa)
- Hiroshi Kanayama and Takaki Takana: "Universal Dependencies for Japanese", tutorial at the 23rd annual meeting of Association of Natural Language Processing, Ibaraki, March 2017.
- Hiroshi Kanayama: "Why and how "Watson" answered Questions on the TV Quiz Show", keynote presentation, COOLCHIPS XVI, Yokohama, April 2013.
- Hiroshi Kanayama: "Why Watson Answered Questions on the TV Quiz Show?", special talk in the PRMU/DE Symposium, IEICE, 2011.
- Hiroshi Kanayama and David Ferrucci: "Building Watson", invited talk in the 12th Spoken Language Symposium, 2010.
- Hiroshi Kanayama: "Analysis of Sentiment and Demand", in the lecture series on text mining at Keio University, 2009 and 2010.
- Hiroshi Kanayama: "ESPER: Extractor of Sentiment and Preference ExpRessions", LTI Seminar at Carnegie Mellon University. 18 April, 2008.
- Reviewer of ACL 2017
- Reviewer of COLING 2016 / EMNLP2016 / ACL 2016
- Chairperson, SIG for Natural Language Understanding and Models of Communication, IEICE (2016-2018)
- Program Comittee of 21st and 22nd annual meetings of Association of Natural Language Processing (2014-2016)
- Reviewer of COLING 2014 / EMNLP 2014
- Organizer member, SIG for Natural Language Understanding and Models of Communication, IEICE (2010-2016)
- Task organizer of the RITE-2 task in NTCIR-10, 2012-2013
- Reviewer of NAACL-HLT 2012 / EMNLP-CoNLL 2012 / COLING 2012
- Task organizer of the RITE task in NTCIR-9, 2010-2011
- Reviewer of EMNLP 2011
- Reviewer of NAACL-HLT 2010 / COLING 2010
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Natural Language Processing (2008-2010)
- Reviewer of ACL-IJCNLP 2009 / AIRS 2009 / EMNLP 2009
- Technical committee member, SIG for Natural Language Understanding and Models of Communication, IEICE (2005-2010)
- Reviewer of EMNLP 2008 / ACL-HLT 2008
- Reviewer of EMNLP-CoNLL 2007