Research Staff Member and Master InventorThomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY USA +19149454189
Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM Distinguished Scientist | ACM Distinguished Speaker | Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
Open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs like Open 311) and Open Data (like data.gov.in, data.gov) are becoming increasingly available. To promote this trend, I am involved with creation of useful applications (Apps) to demonstrate their potential for society. Here are some done by my collaborators and me.
Here are some technologies that I initiated or contributed to, and which are (or were) available to the public for download.
As ACM Distinguished Speaker, a sample of my talks are here. More public talks to promote technical education are listed below.
Theme - Smart City, Open Data
- Online Talk titled "Machine Learning with Open Data" at IIT-BHU's Quality Improvement Program (QIP) Short Term Course (STC) on Sep 21, 2017. Hosted by IIT-BHU, Varanasi; audience of 40-50 faculty members of engineering colleges.
- Blue Water talk at 2016 US-China Forum: Water and Urban Development, University of Chicago, Oct 14, 2016. Details: http://ime.uchicago.edu/events/4633/ .
- ACM DSP talk titled "Environmental Decision Support in the Presence of Piece-Meal Water Pollution Data: Much is Possible Despite Odds" at IIT-BHU, Varanasi, India, Sep 20, 2016 to an audience of 100+ undergraduate and graduate students and faculty members.
- ACM DSP and Keynote Talk titled "Towards Intelligence in Traffic Management Using IT and AI Techniques " at ICACCI, Jaipur, India, on 23 September, 2016.
- BlueWater talk at Conference on Conservation, Computation, & Criminology (C4), Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, July 6-8, 2016. Video available on Youtube.
- Blue Water at CSE Workshop on Mainstreaming Citywide Sanitation: Opportunities and Challenges in Excreta Management during 4-5 April, 2016 at IHC, New Delhi, India. Slides are on site as well as on slideshare.(April 2016).
- ACM DSP talk titled "AI Techniques for Intelligent Traffic Management" at Muthoot Institute of Technology, Ernakulam on 26 February, 2016 to an audience of 100+ undergraduate students and faculty members as part of SenseAI event.
- Talk titled "Data Mining with Open Data - A Promising Direction for Societal Change" at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee College, New Delhi on 22 February 2016 to an audience of 100+ graduate students and faculty members from multiple universities.
- Five lectures on Open Data, AI and Machine Learning at a graduate-level course on Machine Learning at IIT Kharagpur, during Feb 8-10, 2016. Applications covered included transportation, water, tourism , corruption and public health.
- Talk on Data management practices and multi-sensor data fusion in water management, at IIT Madras on 20 Jan 2016.
- Talk titled "Open Data for Financial Innovations in the Developing World" by Biplav Srivastava, at 5th Doctoral Consortium at IDRBT, Hyderabad, India on 11 Dec 2015. Slides are here.
- Talk titled "Technological Global Trends in Use of IT for Efficient Public Healthcare" by Rajeev Gupta and Biplav Srivastava, at 33rd Annual Conference of Uttar Pradesh Chapter of Association of Physicians of India (UPAPICON 2015), Noida, India on 3 Oct 2015. Slides are here.
- Talk titled "Technological Challenges in Managing and Operating a Smart City: Planning for Real World" at IEEE Workshop on Technologies for Planning and Acting in Real World Systems at Bangalore, India on 4 Sep 2015.
- Invited talk titled "Water Games - The Opportunities and Challenges in Securing Water for Growth" at IJCAI workshop on Behavior, Economic and Compuational Intelligence for Security, Buenos Aires Argentina, 25 July 2015. Slides and details are here.
- ACM DSP talk titled "Big, Open, Data and Semantics for a Real-World Application Near You" at BIT, Patna on 19 March 2015 to an audience of 100+ graduate students and faculty members. Some photos and press is here.
- Talk titled "Improving Traffic Management: So close and yet so far"at Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi (IIIT-D) organized workshop on tranportation problems, on 7 March 2015 to an audience of academicians, industry experts and students.
- ACM DSP talk titled "Big, Open, Data and Semantics for a Real-World Application Near You" at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee College, New Delhi on 29 January 2015 to an audience of 100+ graduate students and faculty members.
- Talk titled "How Librarians can Leverage Big and Open Data to make a Deeper Societal Impact?"at India International Center (IIC), New Delhi, India on 15 January 2015 as part of their event on Knowledge Society to an audience of 100+ librarians and knowledge management professionals.
- Talk titled "Open Innovation for Boosting Economy with Tourism", at workshop on Open Government Data and Smart City at SciDataCon 2014, New Delhi on 3rd November 2014.
- ACM DSP and Keynote Talk titled "Big, Open, Data and Semantics for Real-World Application Near You" at 1st Africa and Middle East Conference on Software Engineering (AMECSE 2014), at Cairo, Egypt on 21 October 2014 to an audience of 250-275 participants.
- Talk titled "Big Open Data Analystics - from government and public data to societal applications that matter", at Training Programme on Knowledge Management & Change Management in Organisations for India's senior officers/senior Engineers of Central Water Commission (CWC) at IIPA, New Delhi on 16 October 2014.
- Talk titled "Open Innovation - From Government Open Data to Societal Applications that Matter" at North Carolina State University (NCSU), Raleigh, USA on 22 September 2014 to an audience of 100-120 graduate students and faculty members.
- Talks on Agents, Semantics and their Real-World application (total 3) to young researchers and faculty at NIT Durgapur on 14-15 April 2014.
- Talk titled AI Techniques for Intelligent Traffic Management at Amrita University, Bangalore, on March 2014.
- Talk titled Big, Open, Data and Semantics for a Real-World Application Near You at IIT-Delhi, New Delhi, on 30 January 2014 as part of Data Management Lecture Series.
- Day-long tutorial on "Semantic Web and Open Data" at KL University, Vijaywada, on 5 April, 2013.
- Talks on Semantic Web and Smarter Transportation at Amity University, Noida's Faculty Development Program event, on 27 November 2012.
Theme - AI, Web Services, Autonomic Computing
- Panel Discussion about "Challenges and prospects of leveraging background knowledge and domain Semantics into Machine Learning", IJCAI-2016 Semantic Machine Learning Workshop, New York, USA, July 2016. Panelists: Dr. Biplav Srivastava, IBM; Prof. Peter Stone, UT Austin; Prof. Jie Tang, Tsinghua University. Video on Youtube.
- Panel discussion on "Digital India - Economy in Perspective" by at Infinity 2016 event of FORE School of Management, New Delhi on 12 Jan 2016.
- Panel discussion on "Open Data and Digital Citizenship" by at 33rd Annual Conference of Open Data Camp at Delhi on 22 Nov 2015. Details are here.
- Panel discussion on "Data – Management, Sharing and Services : Current & Future Role of Data Stakeholders" at workshop on Big and Open Data at New Delhi on 6 Nov 2015. Details are here.
- Panel discussion on "Enterprise Internet of Things // Smarter Cities" organized by Mint/ Hindustan Times at New Delhi on 16 Mar 2015. Details are here.