Dr. Andrea Simonetto is a research staff member in the optimization and control group of IBM Research Ireland. He received his M.Sc. in aerospace engineering for Politecnico di Milano and Torino, Italy in 2008, and his Ph.D. degree in systems and control from Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, in 2012. He was a postdoctoral researcher from 2012 till 2016, first in the signal processing group in Delft, then in the applied mathematics department at the Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium. He held visiting scholar positions at Carnegie Mellon University, PA, USA, as well as University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA, and KTH, Sweden. He joined IBM Research in 2017. Dr. Simonetto's expertise lies at the intersection of control theory, optimization, and signal processing, with application focus in smart power grids, intelligent ground and air transportation systems, and health care.
- Convex and non-convex optimization: both from a theoretical perspective and algorithmic implementation. Recent works include prediction-correction algorithms to track the solution trajectory of time-varying convex programs. Older works include networked SDP convex relaxations of certain classes of non-convex programs.
- Distributed optimization, especially in connection with robotic and wireless sensor networks.
- Control theory in the context of distributed control design, model predictive control, embedded control systems.
- Signal processing: distributed estimation, sparse reconstructions, compressive sensing, wireless sensor network localization, sensor selection, graph signal processing.
- Parallel computing in the context of nonlinear estimation and specifically particle filtering.
- Recent: smart grids, IoT in smart transportation, air traffic management, health care.
- Less recent: robotics, medical device design.
For more info you can check my website [here], which is updated quite regularly.
- PhD in systems and control, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2012.
- M.Sc. in aerospace enginering, Politecnico di Milano and Torino, Italy, 2008.
- Alta Scuola Politecnica (ASP) diploma, 2008.
- Feb 2017- now: Research staff member at IBM Research Ireland (optimization and control group).
- March 2016- January 2017: Postdoctoral scholar at Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium (applied mathematics department).
- January 2013- Feb 2016: Postdoctoral scholar at Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands (signal processing department).
- Short academic visits: Carnegie Mellon University, PA, USA (2007 and 2008); KTH, Sweden (2011); University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA (2015).
- DISC PhD Thesis award. Best PhD Thesis in system and control theory in the Netherlands at a given year, 2013.
- Politecnico di Milano Gold medal for the best student in space engineering at a given year, 2008.
- Honorable mention at 33rd International Physics Olympiad (IPhO), 2002.