Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: Fellow, IEEE | Women in Technology International (WITI)
more informationMore information: Sophie's LinkedIn | Sophie's Twitter
I currently lead important strategic initiatives to scale IBM Corporation’s emerging technology industry/university/start-up ecosystems. I proposed and helped create the $240M/10 year MIT-IBM Watson AI Lab. I am a member of IBM’s Acceleration Team.
I love to explore, incubate and develop innovative concepts from fundamental research to powerful client offerings. Having the privilege to collaborate with diverse, creative and entrepreneurial colleagues, partners and customers from around the globe and to co-create with users solutions that make a positive difference to millions of people is extremely rewarding and fun.
- Previously, as IBM Research Chief Operating Officer, I led Strategy & Operations for IBM's 13 global Labs. Research includes AI, blockchain, quantum computing, cybersecurity, IoT/Edge, microelectronics and high-performance computing for industries such as Health & Life-sciences, Financial Services, Retail, Industries 4.0, Agriculture and more. The Watson for Education Business is also part of my team.
- As Xerox Chief Technology Officer for over 10 years, I led the company’s technology transformation from printing and copying towards digital solutions and services for the printing, healthcare, transportation, education, customer care, retail and other industries.
- Non-executive Public Company Director and Digital Technology Expert with significant experience serving on nomination/governance, compensation, finance and technology board committees: IDEXX, Analogic, Nypro, Cummins.
- Authority in applying state-of-the-art technologies, including ethnography, materials, hardware systems, analytics, automation and cognitive computing - among others - to create differentiated products and services.
- For almost a decade I was the sole Director of PARC Inc., a premier source for innovation, scientific research and advanced technology for global companies as well as the government.
- Inventor with 14 US patents, Fellow IEEE, and Advisor to the Dean of Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Effective creator of diverse and inclusive global organizations where innovation thrives. I am honored to recently receive the "Inaugural Award of Distinction: Lifetime Diversity Leadership Recognition" from the Xerox Employee Resource/Caucus Groups.