Tohru Nagano is a research staff member at IBM Research - Tokyo. His current research focuses on speech recognition and text-to-speech synthesis. He received his B.E. and M.E. in electronics and information sciences from the University of Tsukuba, Japan, in 1996 and 1998, where he studied application of artificial intelligence and adaptive systems. Since he joined IBM Japan in 1998, his main research interests have been in the fields of text mining, natural language processing, and speech technologies. He received a Ph.D. in Engineering from the University of Tsukuba in 2016. He is a member of the IPSJ and the ASJ.
- IPSJ Senior Member (2017/10-)
- Representative member of IPSJ. (2017/4-2018/3)
- Program committee member of the 79th IPSJ National Convention. (2016/4-2017/6)
- Chief Examiner of Editorial Committee of IPSJ Magazine (2016/4-2017/3), Secretary (2015/4-2016/3), Member (2013/4-2017/3)
- Steering committee member, IEICE Technical Committee on Natural Language Understanding and Models of Communication (NLC), (1999/5-2003/4)
- Technical Development Award, "The creation of the real-time call center agent support system using Watson Speech To Text, a cloud-based automatic speech recognition service", The Acoustical Society of Japan. 2018
- Best Paper Award of the 59th IPSJ National Convention. 1999