"The final reward for any researcher is to see his or her lifetime of work extend beyond academia and laboratories, into the mainstream of our global society where it can breathe hope into the world. " -- Prof. Ei-ichi Negishi, Nobel Banquet Speech, 2010.
Info for speaking invitations: Please use the ACM Distinguished Speakers page to schedule/send the invitations.
Ashish Kundu is a Master Inventor, and Research Scientist in Security Research at the IBM T J Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York. Dr. Kundu is an ACM Distinguished Speaker, and a IEEE Senior Member. He is currently based out of IBM Almaden Research Center, California, USA (since Nov 2018). Dr. Kundu has led the Research efforts for Security and Compliance for IBM Watson Health.
Selected PC/Editorial Services: Please consider submitting your best work to the following venues.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- PC Member (Security, Privacy and Compliance): IEEE Cloud 2019
- Track co-chair (Security, Privacy and Trust): TheWebConf 2019 (formerly WWW 2019)
- Guest Editor, IEEE Internet Computing Special Issue on Healthcare Informatics and Privacy
- PC member: IEEE Cloud'18, IEEE Cloud'17, IEEE EDGE'17
- [past conferences: CIKM'16, CLOUD'16, ICDCS'14, CODASPY'14, ...]
- 80th patent granted: "Device Security Via Swipe Patterns" USPTO 10,185,817
- Paper Accepted TheWebConf19 (aka WWW'19): "PrivIdEx: Privacy Preserving and Secure Exchange of Digital Identity Assets"
- 79th patent granted: " Anonymization of traffic patterns over communication networks". USPTO #US9866532B2
- "Blockchain Chip" a proposal in "Collaborative and Accountable Hardware Governance using Blockchain".
- Guest Editorial IEEE Internet Computing Mar/Apr 2018:
- Accepted at ICDCS'18
- "A Trusted Health Care Data Analytics Cloud Platform"
- Accepted at EDBT'18
- "Research Directions in Blockchain Data Management and Analytics"
- Accepted at IEEE ICDE
- "Efficient and Scalable Integrity Verification of Data and Query Results for Graph Databases"
- Named as Research Master Inventor (for second time) for Class of 2018 (Nov '17) (First named as Master Inventor in Nov'14).
- Named as ACM Distinguished Member (Nov '17)
- Accepted at IEEE TKDE (Nov '17)
- “Efficient and Scalable Integrity Verification of Data and Query Results for Graph Databases”
- Named as ACM Distinguished Speaker (April '17)
- Accepted at IEEE Cloud'17
- "Risk-Based Packet Routing for Privacy and Compliance-Preserving SDN"
- "Compliance-Aware Provisioning of Containers on Cloud"
- Press coverage on the patent granted (Mar '17):
Research & Technical Interests:
Dr. Kundu's research interests are in Security, Privacy, AI Ethics and Regulatory Compliance: "How to deliver holistic end-to-end security and compliance by weaving the fabrics of security, compliance and privacy with data, users and system together in an intelligent and cognitive manner".
The domains he is particularly interested are AI, Blockchain, cloud, mobile/IoT, and regulatory computing environments. He is also spending some of his cycles on AI ethics and testing the line that separates science and philosophy that drives ethics in terms of "security and trust" in intelligent machines.
Publications and Patents:
- 110+ patents filed/filed, 80+ granted.
- 30+ research publications .
Some of his primary contributions to the scientific community are the development of leakage-free redactable signatures, discovery of security issues in programming languages, such as buffer overflows due to vulnerabilities in the “placement new” expression in C++, development of several cloud security and compliance techniques. During his research work, Ashish has established the areas of "privacy-preserving digital signatures, and data integrity techniques".
Ashish's research work has directly and indirectly influenced several products and services. He is the security and compliance research lead for IBM Watson Health Cloud Platform. He has been the research lead for security and compliance for IBM Watson Genomics, and IBM Cognitive Learning for Education Cloud Platform. His prior work has also gone into IBM Hybrid Cloud offerings as well as to IBM Everyplace Access toolkit.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, 2018, IBM Research
- ACM Distinguished Member, Nov 2017
- IBM Master Inventor (Second time), IBM Research, 2017
- ACM Distinguished Speaker, April 2017.
- Star Alumnus, NIT Rourkela (Alumni Association), 2015
- IBM Master Inventor, IBM Research, 2014 [Purdue story]
- CERIAS Diamond Award, Purdue University, 2011
- Top Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University, 2011