Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: SIAM Fellow
more informationMore information: Complete list of publications and citations
I am a member of the Center for Computational and Statistical Learning Group in the Mathematical Sciences Department at IBM's T.J. Watson Research Center. You might be surprised to know that whenever possible, we endeavour to make our software available through an Open Source license from COIN-OR.
My research activities
- Current research in mathematical programming and numerical linear algebra
- My interests include applications, theory, numerical algorithms and software development.
- In the past several years, I have been especially interested in large-scale algorithms and small-scale methods that do not require derivatives, including applications.
My earlier projects include:
When I was quite young I discovered that I was good at mathematics and loved it, but I had a lousy memory. While my intellectual passions were history, English and mathematics, only the latter made almost no demands on my memory! Moreover, in the environment in the United Kingdom, when and where I grew up, mathematicians were considered to be especially weird and wonderful. What more encouragement did I need!
My honours include
- SIAM Fellow
- Lagrange Prize in Continuous Optimization, 2015 (Jointly with Katya Scheinberg and Luis N. Vicente)
- Beale-Orchard-Hays Prize, 1994 (Jointly with Nick Gould and Philippe Toint)
- Honorary Professor at University of Veszprem, Hungary. This is an
appointment by the State.
- Workshop in my honour:Fields Institute, Workshop on Nonlinear Optimization Algorithms and Industrial Application, Toronto, June 2-4, 2016
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for "Invention and Development of EinsTuner" 2001 and invitation to the Corporate Technical Recognition Event (CTRE) 2002 (Jointly with Ruud Haring and Chandu Visweswariah)