Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: ACM | ACM SIGMM | Fellow, IEEE | IEEE Circuits and System Society | IEEE Computer Society | IEEE Signal Processing Society
more informationMore information: John R. Smith on Google Scholar | John R. Smith on DBLP | John R. Smith on LinkedIn | John R. Smith on Twitter
Dr. John R. Smith is IBM Fellow and manager of AI Tech for IBM Research AI at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. He currently leads research and development on vision, speech, language, knowledge, and interaction in Yorktown Heights, NY USA. Previously he led IBM’s R&D on Computer Vision and Multimedia. Recent work includes:
- Visual Recognition for IBM Watson Developer Cloud
- Medical Image Analysis for Skin Cancer
- Augmenting Creativity for Movie Trailers
- Visual Comprehension of Dynamic Scenes in Video
- Multi-modal Analysis for Sports Highlights Detection
- Intelligent Video Analytics (IVA) for Safety & Security
Earlier, Dr. Smith was Distinguished Research Staff Member and Senior Manager of Intelligent Information Systems. He led the development of IBM Multimedia Analysis and Retrieval System (IMARS) and was Principal Investigator for multiple R&D projects on vision and multimedia including:
- IARPA ALADDIN ("Video Event Modeling and Retrieval based on Discriminative Semantic Features")
- DTO/IARPA VACE-III ("Analyst Centric Workbench for Large Scale Cross Domain Video Intelligence")
- DTO LSCOM ("Large Scale Concept Ontology for Multimedia")
- ARDA VACE-II ("Reconstructing and Mining of Semantic Threads Across Multiple Video Broadcast News Sources using Multi-level Concept Modeling")
Dr. Smith was co-General Chair of ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2016) in New York City.
Previously, he was Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Multimedia from 2010 – 2014, Associate Editor-in-Chief from 2006 – 2010 and Standards Editor from 2003 – 2006.
Historically, with Prof. Shih-Fu Chang at Columbia University, Dr. Smith developed some of the earliest approaches for content-based image and video retrieval, including:
- VisualSEEk - content-based image retrieval system
- WebSEEk - one of the first image and video search engines for the Web in 1995!
- Integrated Spatial and Feature Image Systems: Retrieval, Analysis and Compression, 1997. Advisor: Prof. Shih-Fu Chang, Columbia University.
- Dr. Smith gave an industry talk at the VISion Understanding and Machine intelligence (VISUM 2018) summer school on July 10, 2018.
- Dr. Smith gave a keynote talk on AI in the Enterprise and moderated a panel at the USC Computing Forum on AI in Life on May 17, 2018.
- Dr. Smith gave a presentation at The Frick Collection symposium on "Searching Through Seeing: Optimizing Computer Vision Technology for the Arts" in New York City on April 9, 2018.
- Dr. Smith gave a presentation on "Creativity: the next horizon for AI" at Pausefest in Melbourne, Australia on Feb. 7, 2018.
- Dr. Smith gave a lecture on "Industry Opportunities and Challenges for Visual Comprehension" as part of the 2017-2018 Columbia University Computer Science Distinguished Lecture series on Oct. 23, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave a keynote talk on "AI Challenges and Opportunities for Image and Video Understanding" at IBM Research | Brasil Colloquium 2017 on “Inteligência Artificial” on Oct. 10, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave a talk on "Augmented Creativity" at the IJCAI-17 AI Festival event on Creative Machines at Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA) on Aug. 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited talk at the IJCAI-17 Industry Day in Melbourne, Australia on Aug. 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited presentation at the Tech Open Air (TOA) Conference on July 13, 2017.
- Dr. Smith participated on a panel moderated by Steve Lohr on "The Future of Augmented Intelligence" at the World Science Festival in New York City on June 3, 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented "Opportunities to Improve Our Lives leveraging Visual Recognition at Scale" at the LDV Vision Summit in New York City on May 25, 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented an invited talk on "Can AI be Creative?" at the Institute of Communications Agencies in Canada (ICA) FutureFlash conference on May 17, 2017.
- Dr. Smith gave a Tribeca Lounge Talk on "The Quest for AI and Creativity" at the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented a plenary talk on "New Challenges and Opportunities for Image Analysis in Healthcare" at IEEE Intl. Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (ISBI) 2017 in April 2017.
- Dr. Smith presented an invited talk on "Can artificial intelligence be creative?" at CPH:CONFERENCE – Art, Technology & Change at the CPH:DOX documentary film festival in March 2017.
- Dr. Smith participated on a panel on "Convergence of VR and AI" at the MIT Tech Conference in February 2017.
- Dr. Smith was an invited guest speaker at the "Nestlé Skin Tech Design Clinic" in December 2016.
- Dr. Smith presented a keynote talk on "AI + Creativity for Filmaking" at La Digital Tech in December 2016.
- Dr. Smith presented Watson’s Visual Recognition at the Watson Developer Conference (DevCon) plenary session in November 2016.
- Dr. Smith served on an invited panel on Multimedia Research and Products at IEEE Intl. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (ICME) in July 2016.
- Dr. Smith was General Chair, ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2016) in New York City in June 2016.
- Dr. Smith gave an invited plenary talk at IEEE Intl. Symposium on Multimedia in December 2015.
- Dr. Smith is a co-founder and steering committee member of the Greater New York (GNY) Multimedia and Vision Meeting:
- 1st Multimedia and Vision Meeting in Greater New York Area, February 2012
- Dr. Smith co-presented a tutorial with Liangliang Cao, Shih-Fu Chang and Rogerio Feris on Learning visual semantics: models, massive computation, and innovative applications at IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR-2014).
- Dr. Smith co-presented a tutorial with Liangliang Cao on Massive-Scale Multimedia Semantic Modeling at ACM Multimedia 2013.
- Dr. Smith gave the keynote talk at ACM Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval Intl. Conf (SIGIR-2013).
- Dr. Smith was co-Technical Program Chair for ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR-2013).
- Dr. Smith was co-General Chair for ACM Multimedia 2012.
Editor-in-Chief articles for IEEE MultiMedia (2010 - 2014):
- "How Many Visual Concepts?", January-March 2014 (vol. 21 no. 1).
- "Herding Cats", October-December 2013 (vol. 20 no. 4).
- "Lessons in Learning", July-September 2013 (vol. 20 no. 3).
- "Reconstructing Events", April-June 2013 (vol. 20 no. 2).
- "Just the Facets", January-March 2013 (vol. 20 no. 1).
- "Problems Gone By", October-December 2012 (vol. 19 no. 4).
- "Rich Media, Poor Media", July-Sept 2012(vol. 19 no. 3).
- "A Virtual Opinion", April-June 2012 (vol. 19 no. 2).
- "Minding the Gap", January-March 2012 (vol. 19 no. 1).
- "Open Channel for News", Oct.-Dec. 2011 (vol. 18 no. 4).
- "History Made Everyday", July-Sept. 2011 (vol. 18 no. 3).
- "A Great Challenge", April-June 2011 (vol. 18 no. 2).
- "Express Yourself", January-March 2011 (vol. 18 no. 1).
- "Clicking on Things", October-Dec. 2010 (vol. 17 no. 4).
- "The Not So Newlywed Game", July-Sept. 2010 (vol. 17 no. 3).
- "The Red Balloon", April 2010 (vol. 17 no. 2).