Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: American Association for the Advancement of Sciences | American Medical Informatics Association | Fellow, IEEE | Fellow, International Association of Pattern Recognition
Dr. Jianying Hu is IBM Fellow and Global Science Leader, AI for Healthcare at IBM Research. In this role, Dr. Hu is responsible for working across IBM Research to define and drive an AI science leadership strategy for healthcare at IBM.
Dr. Hu also leads the Center for Computational Health at IBM Research, located in New York and Cambridge. The center consists of a multidisciplinary team of over 30 Ph.D. and MD researchers working on applying data science to Healthcare. It conducts scientific research and technical innovations in the broad areas of data driven healthcare analytics, with focuses on predictive analytics, disease modeling, real world evidence generation, translational informatics, connected health and computational health behavior.
Dr. Hu has published over 130 peer reviewed scientific papers and holds 35 patents. She chaired the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Working Group from 2014 to 2016.
Fellow, International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics (IAHSI) (Elected in 2020)
Fellow, IEEE (Elected in 2015)
Fellow, International Association for Pattern Recognition (Elected in 2010)
Current Research Interests
Computational Health Science and Biomedical Informatics
Patient Similarity Analysis, Predictive Modeling, Temporal Modeling, Disease Modeling, Care Pathway Analtyics, Population Risk and Utilization Analysis, Drug Indication Expansion and Safety, AI for Clinical Trials.
Past Research Areas
Portfolio analysis, services engagement modeling, demand forecasting and workforce management.
Web Document Analysis and Mining
Web content and structure mining, content extraction, page re-targeting, mobile access.
Image/Video Analysis and Retrieval
Design of distance metrics that match human perceptions for color and texture based image matching. Video scene classification, topic tracking and summarization.
Online Handwriting Recognition, Signature Verification, Pen Computing
Various aspects of the handwriting recognition problem, including model and system design using the HMM framework, decoding algorithms, feature extraction, preprocessing, and language modeling using probabilistic automata. Character recognition for handheld devices. Dynamic signature verification.
Document structure analysis, particularly using layout information and linguistic knowledge, for applications such as multimedia messaging, information retrieval, web document analysis, and mobile Internet access.
Honors and Awards
- Elected Fellow of International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics (IAHSI) , 2020
- Senior authored paper "A probabilistic disease progression modeling approach and its application to integrated Hunting's disease observational data" selected for JAMIA Open "High Impact Open Access Research" collection: https://academic.oup.com/jamiaopen/pages/impact April 2020.
- Senior authored paper "Artificial Intelligence for Clinical Trial Design" selected for Elsevier "AI and Big Data for Cancer" special collection: https://www.elsevier.com/events/conferences/ai-and-big-data-in-cancer/ai-and-big-data-in-cancer-special-collection March 2020
- 2020 Keynote: Insights into Parkinson's: https://www.insightintopd.com/speakers/
- 2020 Distinguished Lecture: Computational Methods for Next Generation Health Care, UCI Future Health Institute : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkA2Bn0Fho
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Enterprise Computing Community Conference, 2019 (https://ecc.marist.edu/web/conference2019/featured-speakers)
- Invited Keynote Speaker, 2019 Computational Neural Science Outcomes Center Symposium, 2019 (https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/cnoc-symposium/speakers)
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Norwegian Conference on Artificially Intelligence in Healthcare (https://helse-nord.no/arrangementer/kunstig-intelligens-i-helsetjenesten-2019-06-18), 2019
- Invited Plenary Speaker, Current Challenges in Computing, 2018 (https://ccubedconference.com/speakers.html)
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Digital Diabetes Congress 2018 (https://www.diabetestechnology.org/about.shtml )
- IBM Fellow, 2018
- Invited Keynote, International Conference on Healthcare Informatics 2017 (http://dml.cs.byu.edu/chs/ichi2017/keynote.html)
- Member of IBM Industry Academy (elected 2016)
- Elected Fellow of IEEE 2015,
- Invited Keynote, Machine Learning in Healthcare, 2014 (http://mucmd.org/conference-2014.html)
- Asian American Engineer of The Year Award, 2013
- Elected Fellow of International Association for Pattern Recognition , 2010
- Recipient of 11 IBM Research Accomplishment Awards
Journal Advisory Board
Journal of Heathcare Informatics Research (2016 -- current)
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (2001 -- 2005)
- International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition (2009 -- 2015)
Pattern Recognition (2011 -- 2016)
- JAMIA Open(2018 -- current)
- Working Group Chair
- Amrican Medical Informatics Association, Working Group on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (2014 - 2016)
- Technical Committee Chair
- International Association for Pattern Recognition TC11 (Reading Systems) (2004 -- 2008)
- International Association for Pattern Recognition Industrial Liaison Committee (2013 -- 2017)
- Conference Co-Chair
- IWPRHA2014 IWPRHA2012 ICDAR 2011 , SPIE DR&R XI (2004) , WDA 2003, SPIE DR&R X (2003) , DAS 2002, WDA 2001
- Program Chair
- ICFHR 2008
- Technical Committee Member
- IEEE Signical Processing Society Image and MultiDimensional Signal Processing Technical Committee (2004 --)
International Association for Pattern Recognition Conferences and Meetings Committee (2006 -- 2010)
International Association for Pattern Recognition Industrial Liaison Committee (2002 -- 2010)
- Book Co-Editor
- Web Document Analysis: Challenges and Opportunities, World Scientific, October 2003.
- Guest Editor
- Pattern Recognition Special Issue on Frontiers of Handwriting Recognition, 2008.
International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition Special Issue on Document Analysis Systems, 2004.
- Program Committee
- SPIE DR&R XVII (2010) , SPIE DR&R XVI (2009) , ICPR 2008 , SPIE DR&R XV (2008) , ICDAR2007 , ICIP 2007 , SPIE DR&R XIV (2007) , ICPR2006, ICASSP2006 , ICIP2006 , ICDAR2005, SPIE DR&R XII, DocEng2004, DAS2004, ICIP2004, GREC2003, DocEng2003, ICDAR2003, DLIA2001, GREC2001, DLIA1999
Jianying Hu is IBM Fellow and Global Scinece Leader, AI for Healthcare, IBM Research; and Director of Center for Computational Health at IBM Thomas. J. Watson Research Center. She studied Electrical Engineering at Tsinghua University in China, and received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from SUNY Stony Brook in the US in 1993. Prior to joining IBM in 2003 she was with Bell Labs at Murray Hill, New Jersey.
Dr. Hu has conducted and led extensive research in machine learning, data mining, statistical pattern recognition, and signal processing, with applications to healthcare analytics and medical informatics, business analytics, and multimedia content analysis. Her recent focus has been on leading research efforts to develop advanced computational methods for deriving data-driven insights from real world healthcare data. Dr. Hu served as Chair of the Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDDM) Working Group of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) from 2014 to 2016, and on the Computational Science Advisory Board of Michael J. Fox Foundation from 2017 to 2018. She has published over 130 peer reviewed scientific papers and holds 35 patents. She has served as Associate Editor for the journals IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Pattern Recognition, and International Journal for Document Analysis and Recognition. She currently serves on the Editorial Board of the journal JAMIA Open, the Advisory Board of the Journal of Healthcare Informatics Research, the External Advisory Board of Vanderbilt University Department of Biomedical Informatics, the Industry Advisory Board of NJIT, the Western Pennsylvania HIT Advisory Board and the Huntington’s Disease Regulatory Science Consortium Coordinating Committee. Dr. Hu is a fellow of IEEE, the International Association of Pattern Recognition (IAPR), and the International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics (IAHSI). She received the Asian American Engineer of the Year Award in 2013.