Long Vu received his Ph.D. at the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois. His research interests include applying machine learning and AI in healthcare and cybersecurity.
HONOR and AWARD
- 2019: Bronze Medal, Kaggle LANL Earthquake Challenge
- 2017: Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, IBM Corporation for research and development contribution in Sugar.IQ project (https://aichallenges.sl.cloud9.ibm.com/challenges/926?tab=details&milestones=timeline)
- 2012: Vietnam Education Foundation Fellow Association (VEFFA) Scientific Award
- 2011: Mark Weiser Best Paper Award, International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (IEEE PerCom 2011, acceptance rate 11%, http://www.percom.org/?q=markweiser)
- 2008: First prize in Computing Habitat Programming Competition, awarded by the Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2007: Student Travel Grant awarded by Military Communications Conference. Orlando, Florida, US.
- 2006: Best project (CS598IG: Advanced Topics in Distributed Systems - graduate level course at UIUC)
- 2004: Vietnam Education Foundation Fellowship for Ph.D. study in United States
- 2001: Second prize at Students' Scientific Research Conference, awarded by College of Technology
- 2000: An Exemplary of Vietnam National University (VNU) at Hanoi awarded by the President of VNU for the excellent academic results
- 1999: Diploma of Merit for excellent results in the studies and social activities, offered by the President of College of Technology
- 1999: Scholarship for the best student of Physics Department, Hanoi University of Natural Science, sponsored by HASEBE, Japanese Bank Foundation
- 1998: Scholarship for the best student of Physics Department, Hanoi University of Natural Science, sponsored by HASEBE, Japanese Bank Foundation
1. New Scientist Magazine, "'Pre-social network' finds you friends in your hang-outs",( http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228405.900-presocial-network-finds-you-friends-in-your-hangouts.html and http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228403.300-taking-the-chance-out-of-chance-encounters.html)
2. London Daily Mail, "Phone app which tells you where to find a new love or people who share your interests" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2065489/Phone-app-tells-new-love-people-share-interests.html)
3. Yahoo News,"'Minority Report' style pre-social network finds you friends in your hangouts" (http://in.news.yahoo.com/minority-report-style-pre-social-network-finds-friends-122735722.html)
4. Crazy Engineers,"Pre-Social Network ‘Jyotish’ Predicts Where You Are Going" (http://www.crazyengineers.com/pre-social-network-jyotish-predicts-where-you-are-going-1356/)
SOFTWARE & TRACE RELEASE
1. PPCrawler Live source code and trace have 1700+ downloads from 40+ countries worldwide since 2008, http://dprg.cs.uiuc.edu/downloads.
2. University of Illinois Movement (UIM) Trace (Wifi and Bluetooth traces of Google Android phones), http://dprg.cs.uiuc.edu/downloads.