Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: IEEE Signal Processing Society | The Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Society (MICCAI)
Brief Bio: Mehdi Moradi is a research staff member and manager at IBM Almaden Research Center. Over the last six years, he has led a deep learning/machine learning team focusing on medical image analysis. He graduated from the School of Computing at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, in 2008. After completing research fellowships at the University of British Columbia (2008-2011) and at Harvard Medical School (2011-2012), he joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of British Columbia as an assistant professor in 2012 and IBM Research in 2014. In his research, he addresses the difficulties of deep learning in data limited scenarios of medical imaging were datasets are small and annotations are expensive.
For a list of publications, please see my public Google Scholar profile.
I love travelling and photography. Check out my public Instagram feed.
Major Technical Achievements at IBM:
- IBM Research Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, 2020.
- Member of IBM Research VISTA team for Accomplihsments Process, 2019
- Fifth Plateau Invention Award, 2019
- A-level Research Accomplishment for "Contribution of Research to Watson Health Imaging - Launching a New Line of AI based Offerings"
- Led the Almaden DeepEyes team, a general purpose system composed of deep learned models for anomaly detection in medical images
- Led the development of IBM Medical Image Annotation system, a technology for high througput medical image label generation with active learning
- Developed an image to text transform for automatic medical image labeling (MICCAI 2016 paper)
- Award winning paper at MICCAI 2015: "Scandent Tree: A Random Forest Learning Method for Incomplete Multimodal Datasets"
Authors: Soheil Hor, Mehdi Moradi. Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Interventions – MICCAI 2015. Volume 9349 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science pp 694-701
Recent service to the academic/professional community
Chair, Healthcare Informatics Professional Interest Community (PIC) for Almaden Research Center.
Member, Invention Development Team (IDT), AI and Healthcare IDT
Area Chair, IEEE ISBI 2021
Area Chair, International Conference on Information Processing in Computer-Assisted Interventions, IPCAI 2021
Program Committee Member, SPIE Medical Imaging, Digital Pathology Meeting, 2021
Area Chair, MICCAI 2020
Area Chair, IEEE ISBI 2020
Program Committee Member, Machine Learning in Medical Imaging (MLMI 2019)
Program Committee Member, SPIE Medical Imaging, Digital Pathology Meeting, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Co-chair, MICCAI ML-CDS Workshop 2017, 2018
Co-chair, MICCAI ML-CDS Workshop 2016
Program Committee Member, MICCAI 2016
Technical Program Committee, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2016
Program Committee Member, SPIE Medical Imaging, Digital Pathology Meeting, 2016
Program Committee Member, MICCAI 2015
Program Committee Member, AE-CAI 2015
Program Committee Member, MICCAI 2014
Workshops and Tutorials co-chair, MICCAI 2014
Program Committee Member, MICCAI 2013
Associate Editor, Medical Physics (2014-present)
Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2014-2019)
Senior Member, IEEE
Early Career Scholar, Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, 2013
Invited speaker: Medical Computer Vision and Health Informatics Workshop (CVPR 2018)