IBM Master Inventor, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM) & Manager - Watson Health. Member IBM Academy of TechnologyIBM Research - Almaden, San Jose, CA, USA +14089273559
Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: IEEE | IEEE Computer Society | Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) | USENIX: The Advanced Computing Systems Association
- Deep expertise in cloud and cognitive technologies.
- [2017 to date] Senior technical leader at Watson Health for Life Sciences focusing on tackling healthcare with big data analytics and Artificial Intelligence (AI). Few key areas of focus are to
- Apply cognitive and deep learning techniques to enhance pharmacovigilance methods for patient safety [HIPAA and GxP compliant SaaS offering : Watson for Patient Safety (WPS)]
- Signal detection capabilities on a Real World Evidence platform aligned with Observational Medical Outcomes Partnership (OMOP).
- [1998 - 2016] Prior to Watson Health, Ramani Routray was a senior researcher and manager of Cloud Systems Analytics group at IBM Research for over 18 years. In his role, Ramani invented, designed and transformed next generation cloud infrastructure frameworks. The essence of these solutions lies in the unique integration of data science with domain-specific applications on large scale cloud system analytics paradigm. Senior technology leader with a focus on solving challenging technology problems that delivers business value in the form of products and services. Extensive experience in design and development of cloud architectures, petabyte scale distributed systems analytics, cognitive hybrid IT service delivery (ITaaS), and software defined systems.
- Papers (50 publications) : Ramani has published in key Cloud, Systems, Analytics, and Services technical conferences like USENIX FAST, USENIX LISA, IEEE/IFIP NOMS, IEEE SCC, IEEE Cloud etc. [List] [IEEE Xplore]
- Patent Applications (81 patent applications submitted, 51 granted patents) in the areas of healthcare, cognitive computing, blockchain, cloud computing, resiliency, and cognitive services.
- IBM Research advocate for Global Technology Outlook 2017 (GTO 2017) : [GTO is IBM Research's vision of the future for IT. Every year GTO process identifies significant technology trends and disruptive technologies that hold the greatest potential to transform industries, business and society over next 3-to-10 years.]
- Ramani Routray completed his B.E.(Computer Science & Engineering) from Siddhartha Institute Of Technology, M.S.(Computer Science) from Illinois Institute Of Technology.
- Accelerated Discovery Forum, An IBM Research Distinguished Speaker Series : Data Driven Cloud Systems Analytics and Beyond : Video
- 16th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration : Industry Speaker (Data science enabled resiliency analytics and beyond)
- IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E 2015) : Industry Speaker (Invited Practitioners Talk I - Cloud Storage Infrastructure Optimization Analytics)
- Member of advisory board, Data Science Initiative - Wayne State University
- University Of California Berkeley BEARS
- Duke University - Dr. Shivnath Babu
- Imperial College, London - Dr. Peter Pietzuch & University of Cambridge - Dr. David Eyers
IBM Cognitive Build (Outthink Challenge) Finalist : Liberate healthcare data
- Outstanding Innovation Award (OIA) for contribution to Cloud Infrastructure Optimization Analytics Platform - 2016
- Research Division Award (RDA) for contributions to Software Defined Storage Management Service for Cloud Managed Services (CMS) - 2015
- IBM Corporate Award for Innovation in storage management and services optimization [breakthrough technical achievements that have led to significant market and industry success for the company] - 2014
- Best of IBM (One of IBM's highest honors) for outstanding performance, exemplifying Purpose, Values and Practices to make IBM essential to clients - 2014
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award (OTAA) for Renaissance Data Protection Analytics - 2014
- Eminence and Excellence Award for Data Protection Analytics - 2012
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award (OTAA) for contributions to IBM TPC (TotalStorage Productivity Center)4.x Virtualization and Resiliency Analytics - 2012
- GTS Storage Specialty Services Area (SSA) Accolade for Transition & Transformation of SO (Strategic Outsourcing) account.
- Research Division Award (RDA) for contributions to IBM TPC (TotalStorage Productivity Center)4.2 - 2011
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award (OTAA) for contributions to IBM TPC (TotalStorage Productivity Center)3.3 - 2008
- IBM Bravo Award for publication effort - 2007
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award (OTAA) for contributions to IBM TPC (TotalStorage Productivity Center)3.1 - 2006
- Research Division Award (RDA) for work on IBM Tivoli Storage Area Network Manager (ITSANM - TPC for Fabric) - 2004
- IBM Autonomic Computing Special Patent Award for patent on autonomic data recovery - 2002
- JBAW(Java Beans Around The World) Award for work on FTP bean suite on IBM alphaWorks Emerging Technologies - 1998
- LEAP Leadership Development Program - 2008
- Short Talk at EclipseCon 2008 on "Storage Area Network(SAN) Simulator"
- Advanced Mini MBA Program Certified