As a member of the IBM Developer Advocate team, John teaches developers about the powerful Watson Cognitive APIs, IoT and IBM Cloud. He helps developers build custom IoT and embedded Linux solutions for their industrial and educational use cases. John previously held roles as the IBM I/T Workplace of the Future Strategist, where he led the internal IBM Open Computing strategy, and as the IBM I/T Client Platform Architect, where he was responsible for the IBM internal strategy for Windows, Linux, and Mac. John established the Bring Your Own Device strategy at IBM and is an expert on mobile devices, desktop virtualization, and open standards. He led the open-standards-based Browser Independence deployment of Firefox within IBM. John was also a manager in the Watson Information Services Department at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. He spent two years on the IBM Research Technical Staff working on the IBM Research Global Technology Outlook. John holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from Lehigh University.
I joined the IBM Academy of Technology in 2018 and, in 2019, became part of the IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team. I am involved with the following affiliates:
- Manhattan TVC
My areas of expertise and proficiencies are:
- IoT Expert - I regularly speak at IoT industry conferences about using IoT data to generate operational insights.
- IBM Cloud and Watson AI Expert - I publish IBM Developer tutorials and create workshops to teach developers about Watson AI services.
- OpenSource Expert - I have been a Linux desktop user for over 2 decades and work with a variety of open source communities to foster an open collaborative development ecosystem.
- Program Languages - Too many to list! There's an appropriate language for every problem.
- Blockchain - I am particularly interested in using IoT Asset Tracking with Blockchain to improve supply chains with transparency on Where / What / When shipments experience environmental hazards.
- Analytics - Data is critical to generating Insights