Bill is a Distinguished Market Intelligence Professional within the Market Development & Insights team for IBM’s Corporate Marketing & Communications organization. In December of 2014, he was appointed membership into IBM's Academy of Technology. In February of 2016 he was awarded the IBM Distinguished Market Intelligence Professional (DMIP) award. In September of 2016 he was appointed to the IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team. In 2018 he is co-leading the Technology Team for the Academy.
Bill has devoted much of the last 18 years to helping IBMers understand potential futures and which technology trends to watch. Bill's expertise lies in performing emerging technology trends research, writing reports, teaching, and running consultative workshops for teams to help them translate insights into strategies and action plans.
Bill founded IBM's HorizonWatch community. This community focuses on understanding current and disruptive tech trends. Bill supports the community with a blog, conference calls, and annual trend reports.
Bill blogs publicly, including at www.billchamberlin.com where he has been blogging since 2006 and regularly posts slide decks to slideshare at https://www.slideshare.net/HorizonWatching
Key Skills include:
- Research, analysis and reporting on emerging trends, technologies, and business issues.
- Analytical & Creative Thinking
- Secondary & Competitive Research
- Strategy Development & Implementation
- Developing and implementing social media & community marketing strategies.
- Primary Research: Have led both qualitative and quantitative research research projects.
- Process Reengineering Consulting: Marketing & Strategy
Current and Prior Positions
IBM - HorizonWatch Trends Research Program & Community Leader, IBM Market Development & Insights
01/2000 - Present
Bill has developed/led a market scanning effort that has grown into one of the oldest and most successful employee based collaboration communities within IBM. The HorizonWatch research program and community focuses on researching, understanding, and collaborating on emerging trends, technologies, and business opportunities. In this role, Bill collaborates internally and externally to develop an emerging trends research agenda and then goes about the business of researching these trends in order to produce content filled with market and competitive insights. This content includes annual trend reports, trend briefs and monthly community conference calls. The grass-roots member HorizonWatch community is company-wide and organizational independent. The resulting content out of the HorizonWatch research program ends up informing and impacting many other strategic initiatives within IBM. As of November 2016, this role will be a full time role for Bill.
Leadership Team, IBM Academy of Technology
09/2016 - Present
In September 2016, Bill was appointed to the IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team. In 2018, Bill will be co-leading the Technology team for the Academy. The IBM Academy of Technology is a society of IBM technical leaders organized to advance the understanding of key technical areas, to improve communications in and development of IBM's global technical community, and to engage clients in technical pursuits of common value. The Academy was formed in 1989 as a community of the best technical mindes in IBM to provide innovation, technical advice and critiques as well as support cultural change across all business units and across the globe. Bill actively contributes time to key strategic Academy of Technology initiatives and in 2018 is co-leading the Technology Team for the entire Academy. In that role he is managing teams that are working on initiatives in technologies such as AI, Blockchain, Cloud, Dev/Ops, IoT, Quantum, Security, Systems as well as a host of other emerging technologies.
Previous Roles and Contributions to IBM
- Systems Engineering & Sales: BIll started his career in Sales in the Chicago downtown building, helping clients decide and install new automated computer systems.
- Process Reengineering - Bill switched to Marketing in 1990 and was a co-lead on a global marketing process reengineering team. The output of that team lead to a new focus within IBM on Marketing processes, professions and tools.
- Market Strategy & Insights - Since the mid-1990's Bill has held many positions in Marketing Strategy and Market Intelligence. As discussed above, his focus since late 2000 has been on delivering market insights around tech trends that helps IBM grow it's long term business.
- Social Media Insights Consulting - In 2010, Bill helped co-found a Social Media Insights practice within the Market Intelligence function in IBM. This practice was unique for extracting business insights and value from social media marketing and online communities. The practice helped IBMers understand how to leverage social media and online communities.
- Digital Engagement Skill Leader: In 2017, Bill became the leader of the Digital Engagement Skill Specialty within IBM Market Development & Insights. In that role he leads a 75 member community focused on developing world-class skills in the discipline of Marketing, Design and Technical support of Digital Engagement capabilties within the Market Development & Insights organization.
Bill has an MBA (1995) from Kellogg Graduate School of Management (Evanston, Illinois) and a BS in Finance from the University of Illinois (Champaign, Illinois)