Dr. Yuan-Chi Chang is a Research Staff Member and Manager at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center. He has 16 years of industrial experience in data management. He has performed research and development work in the areas of digital library, electronic commerce, data warehouse, integration and analytics. His current research interests are data management technologies on new hardware as well as cross platform analytics integration.
Dr. Chang has been the PI or co-PI of several federal agency and industry funded projects focused on data integration and analytics. He is a holder of over 20 issued patents worldwide and has published over 25 papers in referred conferences. He joined IBM in 1999 after receiving his Ph.D. from University of California, Berkeley.
Here is a list of grand challenges in data management, which he believes can revolutionize the field if there is a break through.
- relational data integration on the fly
- single representation for transactional and analytical workloads
- object oriented data store with performance
- continuous data mining
- harmonize structured, semi-structured (tagged), unstructured data
- extract information from data in other modalities (speech, image, video)