I am a Research Staff Member (RSM) in the Cloud and Computing Infrastructure group at the IBM Research Lab, Zurich. Earlier in 2016, I graduated with a PhD from ETH, Zurich.
My primary research areas are distributed systems, networking, operating systems, and storage. Broadly speaking, I am interested in the performance aspect of systems, spanning from multi-core CPUs to distributed environments. Currently I am investigating how to leverage high-performance network (e.g., 100+ Gbps network) and storage (10+ GBps, e.g., NVMe flash) devices in modern open-source analytics stacks such as Apache Spark, TensorFlow. Software artifacts from our group can be found at : https://github.com/zrlio
- August, 2018: Paper "Pocket: Ephemeral Storage for Serverless Analytics" is accepted at OSDI'18.
- June, 2018: I will be presenting Crail at the DataWorks Summit in San Jose, CA [talk].
- April, 2018: Our work on a high-performance file format for big data systems (called "Albis") has been accepted at USENIX ATC'18.
- November, 2017: Crail features in the FLOSS weekly podcast. Have a look here.
Full list is [here]
- Pocket: Ephemeral Storage for Serverless Analytics. Ana Klimovic, Yawen Wang, and Christos Kozyrakis, Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, and Jonas Pfefferle, to appear in the 13th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'18), Carlsbad, CA, 2018.
- Albis: High-Performance File Format for Big Data Systems. Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Adrian Schuepbach, and Bernard Metzler, in the 2018 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), Boston, MA, USA, July 11-13, 2018.
Navigating Storage for Serverless Analytics. Ana Klimovic, Yawen Wang, Christos Kozyrakis, Patrick Stuedi, Jonas Pfefferle, and Animesh Trivedi, in the 2018 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), Boston, MA, USA, July 11-13, 2018.
FlashNet: Flash/Network Stack Co-Design (Best paper award!). Animesh Trivedi, Nikolas Ioannou, Bernard Metzler, Patrick Stuedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Ioannis Koltsidas, Kornilios Kourtis, Thomas R. Gross, in the 10th ACM International Systems and Storage Conference (SYSTOR'17), Haifa, Israel, May 22-24, 2017. [ACM]
Crail: A High-Performance I/O Architecture for Distributed Data Processing. Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Radu Stoica, Bernard Metzler, Nikolas Ioannou, Ioannis Koltsidas, in the IEEE Bulletin of the Technical Committee on Data Engineering, Special Issue on Distributed Data Management with RDMA, Volume 40, pages 40-52, March, 2017. [PDF]
- On The [Ir]relevance of Network Performance for Data Processing. Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Radu Stoica, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Nikolas Ioannou, in the 8th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud Computing (HotCloud '16), Denver, Colorado, USA, June 20–21, 2016. [PDF] [ACM]
Talks, Presentations, Media
- Data processing at the speed of 100 Gbps@Apache Crail (Incubating), DataWorks Summit, San Jose, USA, 2018.
- FLOSS WEEKLY episode 458 - Crail, November, 2017.
- ACM SYSTOR (2019)
- ACM/IEEE CCGrid (2019)
- [PhD] Animesh Trivedi, End-to-End Considerations in Unification of High-Performance IO, PhD thesis, ETH Zurich, January, 2016. https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-010651949 [PDF]
- [Master] Animesh Trivedi, Hotplug in a multikernel operating system, Master's thesis, Department of Computer Science, ETH Zurich, August, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-005881972 [PDF]