I'm a member of the research staff at IBM research Zurich. My research interests are in distributed systems, networking and operating systems. I graduated with a PhD from ETH Zurich in 2008 and spent two years (2008-2010) as a Postdoc at Microsoft Research Silicon Valley.
The general theme of my work is to explore how modern networking and storage hardware can be exploited in distributed systems. Currently I'm working on the Crail project, a fast distributed data store designed from ground up for fast storage (DRAM, NVMe/PCM) and networking hardware (100Gb/s RoCE). Crail is built upon principles of user-level I/O and targets the storage of performance criticial ephemeral data in distributed data processing workloads (Spark, Tensforflow, serverless workloads, etc.).
Earlier, I developed DiSNI, a zero-copy RDMA-based network stack for the JVM, DaRPC, a ultra-low latency RPC library also for the JVM, and jVerbs, an RDMA-based network stack and precurser of DiSNI, which is part of the IBM JDK since May 2014.
- January 2018: Crail is now an Apache Incubator project: crail.apache.org
- January 2017: Crail website is up: www.crail.io
- October 2016: our (ongoing) work on the Crail I/O architecture is available at github.com/zrlio/crail
- July 2016: DiSNI library available at github.com/zrlio/disni
- July 2016: DaRPC library available at github.com/zrlio/darpc
- Crail: A High-Performance I/O Architecture for Distributed Data Processing: Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Radu Stoica, Nikolas Ioannou, IEEE Data Bulletin
- FlashNet: Flash/Network Stack Co-Design: Animesh Trivedi, Nikolas Ioannou, Bernard Metzler, Patrick Stuedi, Jonas Pfefferle, Ioannis Koltsidas, Kornilios Kourtis, Thomas R. Gross, Systor 2017, Haifa, Israel
- On the [Ir]Relevance of Network Performance for Data Processing: Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Radu Stoica, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Nikolas Ioannou, HotCloud 2016
- A Hybrid I/O Virtualization Framework for RDMA-Capable Network Interfaces: Jonas Pfefferle, Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, Ioannis Koltsidas, Thomas Gross, ACM VEE'15, March 2015
- DaRPC: Data Center RPC: Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, Jonas Pfefferle, ACM SOCC'14, Seattle, WA, November 2014
- JVerbs: Ultra-Low Latency for Data Center Applications: Patrick Stuedi, Bernard Metzler, Animesh Trivedi, ACM SOCC'13, San Jose, CA, October 2013
- Unified High-Performance I/O, One Stack to Rule Them All: Animesh Trivedi, Patrick Stuedi, Bernard Metzler, Roman Pletka, Blake Fitch, Thomas Gross, HotOS'13, Santa Ana Pueblo, NM, May 2013
- Pasture: Secure Offline Data Access using Commodity Trusted Hardware: Rama Kotla, Tom Rodeheffer, Indranjit Roy, Patrick Stuedi, Benjamin Wester, OSDI'12, Hollywood, CA, October 2012
- Wimpy Nodes with 10GbE: Leveraging One-Sided Operations in Soft-RDMA to boost Memcached: Patrick Stuedi, Animesh Trivedi, Bernard Metzler, (Short Paper), Usenix'12, Boston, MA, June 2012
I'm co-teaching the following courses at ETH Zurich.
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2018
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2017
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2016
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2015
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2014
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2013
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2012
- Advanced Computer Networks FS 2011
- SOCC 2018
- Usenix 2018
- SOCC 2017
- Systor 2017
- ICDCS 2014
- ICDCS 2011
- ICDCS 2010