Doing CSCW Research in Latin America: Differences, Opportunities, Challenges, and Lessons Learned - overview
This workshop aims at allowing an open, critical discussion about the progresses and achievements of CSCW in LA. Also it aims at creating an interdisciplinary forum for participants to discuss issues relevant to doing research in the region (in contrast or not with other regions).
We thus welcome a frank, critical debate about experiences, methods, practices, and theories relevant to pushing forward the CSCW research agenda in Latin America. As we prepare for CSCW 2017 in Brazil, this is a critical first step toward building a critical mass of researchers interested in the region as well as building a sustainable involvement of LA CSCW researchers into the broader international CSCW.
We strongly encourage submissions from CSCW researchers and scholars (and in related fields) in the region and elsewhere as well as those whose works might be relevant and can contribute to the discussion.
The workshop aims at attracting contributions from diverse areas in CSCW that has been developed in LA, such as:
- Ethnographic studies in workplace;
- Social media and technology studies;
- Collaborative system development and adoption studies;
- Workflow systems;
- Collaborative software development;
- Domain/industry specific social and collaborative applications; and
- Mobile applications in the enterprise.
While we cannot anticipate all possible issues that will emerge from the submissions and discussion during the workshop, we believe that there is a set of key themes that will guide not only the conversations but how we plan to assess the position papers. The workshop thus focuses primarily on four themes:
- Theoretical constructs – What are the mains theories guiding CSCW thinking and doing in LA?
- Technological developments – what are the main technological questions and developments that have influenced LA CSCW research?
- Key research methods – what are the main methods and methodologies used for investigating CSCW questions and technologies in LA?
- Social, cultural and technological issues – what are the questions and issues concerning local social, cultural, and technological contexts that affect LA CSCW research?
Call for Participation
We invite interested researchers and practitioners to submit a position paper (2 to 4 pages) in the ACM Extended Abstracts format about work in progress, recent results, study methods, or perspectives related to the topics listed below. Papers will be peer-reviewed and 15-20 participants will be selected by relevance and likelihood of stimulating and contributing to this discussion Submissions should be in PDF format and emailed to Rogerio de Paula (depaula<at>acm<dot>org) by December 2nd.