Biometrics - Fingerprint Feature Extraction
We have completed a very reliable the feature extraction system which not only localizes the minutiae accurately, but also provides a quantitative assessment of the quality of the fingerprint image. We are presently exploring novel fingerprint features which can provide powerful discriminatory capability.
- Preprocessing - The input image is made suitable for further processing by image enhancement techniques.
- Computate of Block Directions - Determination of primary ridge direction in each sub-region of an image.
- Foreground/Background Segmentation - Identification of fingerprint area.
- Ridge Extraction - Extraction of ridge area within the foreground area.
- Blob Removal - Elimination of non-elongated small structures.
- Thinning and Morphology - Ridges are thinned into one pixel wide skeletons.
- Minutia Extraction - Determine location and orientation of ridge bifurcations and ridge terminations.
- Post processing - Elimination of extraneous minutia.
Contact: Sharath Pankanti