Cognitive Solutions & Foundations at IBM Research - Almaden - Career Opportunities
Interested in working here?
Postdoctoral Scholar Program
Definition of a Postdoctoral Scholar (Postdoc)
- The appointee is a recent recipient of a Ph.D. (typically, no more than two years prior)
- Postdocs are IBM long-term supplemental employees (LTS)
- The standard appointment is two years
- Postdoctoral appointments are temporary. At the end of their appointment, postdocs are expected to move to a regular academic or research position.
There should be:
- No assumption that a postdoc will be hired as a Research Staff Member or Software Engineer
- A postdoc appointment should not be construed as a probationary appointment to such a position.
Characteristics of a Postdoc Appointment
- Full-time engagement in research and project participation under the supervision and guidance of members of the group to which the postdoc has been appointed
- Position is viewed as preparatory for a full-time academic and/or research career
- The appointee has the freedom and is expected to publish the results of his/her research or scholarship during appointment
- A postdoc can participate in all activities and meetings of the research community, except in recruitment and personnel-related meetings
- A senior member of our community, appointed by the Director of Computer Science
- Point-of-contact for all postdocs throughout the year
- Receives and gathers feedback about the program from the postdocs, and listens to any concerns
- Organizes a roundtable discussion for postdocs once or twice a year.
- Connections Coach
- Should be assigned to every new postdoc
- Different than the mentor or the manager of the postdoc
- Serves as the point-of-contact for the new hire during their first 60 days.
- Member of the research team, usually appointed by the first-line manager
- Engages the postdoc in research projects, offers guidance in research, and fosters an environment conducive to a successful postdoc experience
- Mentors in all areas of professional development, such as development of written and oral communication skills, feedback and advice on the preparation of papers and presentations in seminars or conferences
- Exposes postdoc to other research groups in the organization
- Provides career counseling and advice on preparing applications for regular positions (e.g., help with the preparation of resumes and research statements).
- Job Preparation
- New postdocs should give a seminar on their research within the first three months of their appointment
- Additional seminars reporting on new findings suggested as their research progresses.
Evaluation of Postdocs
- Feedback on their performance at regular intervals of time
- Oral communication by manager or mentor in consultation with the manager
- Expected to submit a "bragsheet" annually during ranking period in November
- Formal annual performance evaluation and feedback at senior-manager level.
We are currently looking to hire Postdoctoral Scholars in the field of computer science. Candidates should be able to utilize advanced scientific and technical knowledge as would normally be obtained through graduate study, as well as display originality and inventiveness. They must exhibit superior scientific proficiency and the potential to become an expert in the field.
- Generate highly novel ideas, evaluate them, plan, and be involved in their execution and implementation.
- Disseminate, externally and internally, the results of such activities through publications, patent disclosures, seminar participation, internal documentation, etc.
- Represent IBM at professional meetings, in professional societies, and universities.
- Keep technically abreast of the literature and progress within the specific and related areas of expertise.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
To apply, please send a curriculum vita to firstname.lastname@example.org.