Operating Systems have evolved from the very first IBM systems that managed which batch job would run to sophisticated systems that manage where a virtual machine resides on a cloud and manages both the security and the updates to applications in a very reliable way.
- 1966: Optimal Replacement in Caching Systems
- 1968: Virtual Machines
- 1987: Logical Volume Management
- 1990: Journaled File Systems
- 1994: Cluster of Computers Appear as a Single Host on a Network
- 1995: Scheduling in Time-Shared Systems
- 1999: First Computer Systems Company to Embrace Linux