Web Analysis and Search
Networking and Web Accomplishment | 1997 - 1999
IBM researcher: Jon Kleinberg
Where the work was done: IBM Almaden Research Center
What we accomplished: The 1997 paper was the first to use hyperlinks to help answer web search queries. Follow-on work further explored the capabilities in terms of search, web communities and more (Jon Kleinberg, pictured).
Related links: Wikipedia Page
- From Jon Kleinberg's Cornell Page:
- J. Kleinberg. Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment. Proc. 9th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1998. Extended version in Journal of the ACM 46(1999). Also appears as IBM Research Report RJ 10076, May 1997.
- D. Gibson, J. Kleinberg, P. Raghavan. Inferring Web communities from link topology. Proc. 9th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, 1998.
- S. Chakrabarti, B. Dom, D. Gibson, J. Kleinberg, P. Raghavan, S. Rajagopalan, Automatic resource list compilation by analyzing hyperlink structure and associated text. Proc. 7th International World Wide Web Conference, 1998.
- S. Chakrabarti, B. Dom, D. Gibson, J. Kleinberg, S.R. Kumar, P. Raghavan, S. Rajagopalan, A. Tomkins, Hypersearching the Web. Scientific American, June 1999.
- S. Chakrabarti, B. Dom, D. Gibson, J. Kleinberg, S.R. Kumar, P. Raghavan, S. Rajagopalan, A. Tomkins, Mining the link structure of the World Wide Web. IEEE Computer, August 1999.
Image credit: By Courtesy of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, CC BY 4.0.