Research Staff Member and Manager, Foundations of Optimization and ComputationIBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY USA +19149451273
- Multilinear Sets with Two Monomials and Cardinality Constraints, 2021. With R. Chen, O. Gunluk. (pdf)
- Convexifying multilinear sets with cardinality constraints: structural properties, nested case and extensions, 2021. With R. Chen, O. Gunluk. (pdf)
- Symbolic Regression using Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Optimization, 2020. With V. Austel, C. Cornelio, J. Goncalves, L. Horesh, T. Josephson, N. Megiddo. arXiv:2006.06813
- Comments on: Perspectives on integer programming for time-dependent models, TOP 27, , 174–177. (journal link)
- On nearly orthogonal lattice bases and Minkowski reduction. 2008. IBM Research Report RC24696; With Ramesh Neelamani, Gregory Sorkin.
- On the Matrix Cuts of Lovasz and Schrijver and their use in Integer Programming. Technical Report TR01-08, Rice University, 2001 (my Ph.D. thesis).
- Integer Programming for Causal Structure Learning in the Presence of Latent Variables. ICML 2021 (Long presentation). PMLR 139:1550-1560. With R. Chen, T. Gao (presentation and slides)
- Multilabel classification by hierarchical partitioning and data-dependent grouping, Neurips 2020. With S. Ubaru, O. Gunluk, A. Mazumdar. (paper link)
- Cardinality constrained multilinear sets, In: Baïou M., Gendron B., Günlük O., Mahjoub A.R. (eds.) Combinatorial Optimization. ISCO 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12176. Springer, Cham, 54-65. (paper link)
- Generalized linear rule models, ICML 2019, PMLR 97:6687-6696, With D. Wei, O. Gunluk, T. Gao. (pdf, suppementary material).
- Boolean decision rules via column generation, NIPS 2018 (Spotlight presentation). With O. Gunluk, D. Wei. (paper link) - Submission based on this paper won 1st Place in Inaugural FICO Explainable Machine Learning Challenge, 2019.
- Globally Optimal Symbolic Regression, NIPS Symposium on Interpretable Machine Learning, 2017. With V. Austel, O. Gunluk, L. Horesh, L. Liberti, G. Nannicini, B. Schieber. (pdf)
- A Model for Fusion and Code Motion in an Integrated Auto-Parallelizing Compiler. International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT), 2010, Vienna. With U. Bondhugula, O. Gunluk, L. Renganarayana. (paper link)
Journal papers (and links to preprints/conference versions)
- On a Generalization of the Chvátal-Gomory Closure. Mathematical Programming (accepted), 2021. Earlier in: IPCO 2020, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12125, Springer. With O. Gunluk, D. Lee. (journal link, Full paper pdf)
- Generalized Chvatal-Gomory closures for integer programs with bounds on variables, Mathematical Programming (accepted), 2020. With O. Gunluk, D. Lee (journal link, pdf)
- Lattice closures of polyhedra, Mathematical Programming, 181, 2020, 119–147. With O. Gunluk, D. A. Moran R. (journal link, pdf)
- Binary extended formulations for polyhedral mixed-integer sets, Mathematical Programming (Series B), 170, 2018, 207-236. With O. Gunluk, R. Hildebrand. (journal link, pdf)
- On the polyhedrality of closures of multi-branch split sets and other polyhedra with bounded max-facet-width. SIAM Journal on Optimization, 27, 2017, 1340-1361. With O. Gunluk, D. A. Moran R. (journal link, pdf)
- Optimization over structured subsets of positive semidefinite matrices via column generation. Discrete Optimization, 24, 2017, 129-151. With A. A. Ahmadi, G. Hall. (journal link, pdf)
- Cutting planes derived from extended LP formulations. Mathematical Programming, 161, 2017, 159-192. With M. Bodur, O. Gunluk. (journal link, pdf)
- Strengthened Benders cuts for stochastic integer programs with continuous recourse. Informs Journal on Computing, 29, 2017, 77-91. With M. Bodur, O. Gunluk, J. R. Luedtke. (journal link,pdf), supplementary material (journal link, pdf). Data/instances used in the paper: Data Explanation, CAP1, CAP2, SNIP.
- Learning interpretable classification rules with boolean compressed sensing. Chapter in Transparent data mining for big and small data (T. Cerquitelli, D. Quercia, F. Pascale, Eds.), pp. 95-121, Springer, 2017. With D. Malioutov, K. Varshney, A. Emad. (book link) Earlier in: Learning interpretable classification rules using sequential row sampling, ICASSP 2015, Screening for learning classification rules via boolean compressed sensing, ICASSP 2014.
- A new lift-and-project operator. European Journal on Operational Research, 257, 2016, 420-428. With M. Bodur, O. Gunluk. (journal link, pdf)
- On the polyhedrality of cross and quadrilateral closures. Mathematical Programming, 160, 2016, 245-270. With O. Gunluk, D. A. Moran R. (journal link, pdf) Earlier in: On some generalizations of the split closure. IPCO 2013, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7801, 2013, 145-156. (pdf)
- The continuous knapsack set. Mathematical Programming, 155, , 471-496. With O. Gunluk, L. Wolsey, (journal link, pdf)
- On the relative strength of different generalizations of split cuts. Discrete Optimization 16, 2015, 36-50. With O. Gunluk, M. Molinaro. (journal link, pdf)
- Computational Experiments with Cross and Crooked Cross Cuts. INFORMS Journal on Computing, 26, 2014, 780-797. With O. Gunluk, J. P. Vielma. (journal link, pdf)
- Lattice-free sets, branching disjunctions, and mixed-integer programming. Mathematical Programming 145, 2014, 483-508. With N. B. Dobbs, O. Gunluk. T. J. Nowicki, G. M. Swirszcz. (journal link, pdf )
- A time bucket formulation for the TSP with time windows. INFORMS Journal on Computing 24, 2012, 132-147. With A. Lodi, A. Tramontani, O. Gunluk. (journal link, pdf)
- The master equality polyhedron with multiple rows. Mathematical Programming 132, 2012, 125-152. With R. Fukasawa, O. Gunluk. (journal link, pdf)
- Two dimensional lattice-free cuts and asymmetric disjunctions for mixed-integer polyhedra. Mathematical Programming, 2012, 135, 221-254. With Santanu S. Dey, Oktay Gunluk. (journal link,pdf)
- Mixed integer rounding cuts and master group polyhedra. Combinatorial Optimization: Methods and Applications (NATO Science for Peace and Security Series - D: Information and Communication Security, Vol. 31; Ed., V. Chvatal), pp. 1-32, 2011, IOS Press, the Netherlands. Available as IBM Research Report RC24521, 2008.
- A note on the MIR closure and basic relaxations of polyhedra. Operations Research Letters 39 , 2011, 198-199. With O. Gunluk, C. Raack. (journal link, pdf)
- On mixed-integer sets with two integer variables. 2010. Operations Research Letters 39 , 2011, 305-309. With Santanu S. Dey, Oktay Gunluk.(journal link, pdf)
- A heuristic to separate rank-1 GMI cuts. Mathematical Programming Computation 2 , 2010, 231-257. With Marcos Goycoolea. (journal link, pdf)
- On a generalization of the master cyclic group polyhedron, Mathematical Programming 125, 2010, 1-30. With R. Fukasawa, O. Gunluk. (journal link, pdf). Earlier in: IPCO 2007, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4513, 2007, 197-209.
- On the complexity of cutting plane proofs using split cuts. Operations Research Letters 38, 2010, 109-114.(journal link, pdf)
- MIR closures of polyhedral sets. Mathematical Programming 121, 2010, 33-60. With Oktay Gunluk, Andrea Lodi. (journal link, pdf). Erratum: Mathematical Programming 123, 2010, 485-486. Earlier in: On the MIR closure of polyhedra, IPCO 2007, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4513, 2007, 337-351.
- Two-step MIR inequalities for mixed-integer programs. INFORMS Journal on Computing 22 , 2010, 236-249. With Marcos Goycoolea, Oktay Gunluk. (journal link, pdf)
- Numerically accurate Gomory mixed-integer cuts. Informs Journal On Computing 21, 2009, 641-649. With William Cook, Ricardo Fukasawa, Marcos Goycoolea. (journal link, pdf)
- On mixing inequalities: rank, closure and cutting plane proofs. SIAM Journal on Optimization 20, 2009, 1090-1109. With Oktay Gunluk. (pdf)
- On the strength of Gomory cuts as group cuts. Mathematical Programming 115, 2008, 387-407. With Oktay Gunluk. (pdf).
- Projected Chvatal-Gomory inequalities for mixed-integer programs. Mathematical Programming 113, 2008, 241-258. With Pierre Bonami, Gerard Cornuejols, Matteo Fischetti, Andrea Lodi. (pdf)
- Production design for plate products in the steel industry. IBM Journal of Research and Development 51, No. 3/4, 2007, 345-362. With Jayant Kalagnanam, Chandra Reddy, Sanghwa Song. (html, pdf)
- Exact solutions to linear programming problems. Operations Research Letters 35(6), 2007, 693-699. With David Applegate, William Cook, Daniel Espinoza. (pdf)
- On nearly orthogonal lattice bases, SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics 21, issue 1, 2007, 199-219. With Ramesh Neelamani, Richard Baraniuk. (pdf)
- Valid inequalities based on simple mixed-integer sets. Mathematical Programming 105, 2006, 29-53. With Oktay Gunluk. (journal link, pdf) Earlier in: IPCO 2004, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3064, 2004, 33-45. (link)
- Valid inequalities based on the interpolation procedure. Mathematical Programming 106, 2006, 111-136. With Oktay Gunluk. (journal link,pdf).
- JPEG compression history estimation for color images. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 15(6), 2006, 1365-1378. With R.Neelamani, R. de Queiroz, Z. Fan, and R. G. Baraniuk. (pdf)
- An exponential lower bound on the length of some classes of branch-and-cut proofs. Mathematics of Operations Research 30(3), 2005, 678-700; Earlier in IPCO 2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2337, 2002, 145-160 (link). Preliminary version in: IBM Research Report RC22575, Sept 2002.
- Solution of a min-max vehicle routing problem. INFORMS Journal on Computing 14, 2002, 132-143. With David Applegate, William Cook, and Andre Rohe. (pdf)
- On the matrix-cut rank of polyhedra. Mathematics of Operations Research 26, February 2001, 19-30. With William Cook. (pdf)