- 2002-present: Research Staff Member at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center.
2000-2002: Post Doctoral Researcher at IBM Research.
2001: Ph.D. in Computer Science, RWTH Aachen, Germany.
1996: M.S. in Computer Science, RWTH Aachen, Germany.
- 1991-1992: Exchange student at Leningradskii Gosudarstvennyi Universitet (LGU) , St.Petersburg, Russian Federation with a grant of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Reviewer for NLP Conferences: ACL (Association of Computational Linguistics), HLT (Human Language Technologies), EMNLP (Empirical Methods in NLP), LREC (Language Resources and Evaluation), and MT Summit (as well as European ACL (EACL) and European MT Summit (EAMT) ). Reviewer for journals: Computer, Speech and Language Journal, IEEE Transactions, Natural Language Engineering Journal, Computational Linguistics Journal. Various NLP-related workshops: WMT (Statistical Machine Translation), SSST (Syntax and Structure in SMT) . Presentations: EuTrans Project Meetings, 1998, 1999, 2000. Invited presentation at Johns Hopkins University, 2002. Presentations at TIDES and GALE meetings for the IBM MT group. Proposal Review Panelist for National Science Foundation (NSF) . Senior Program Committee Member for Human Language Technology Conference (HLT 2006) . Taught class on statistical machine translation (WSLST 2012) , Tarragona, Spain , 2012 .
- Native speaker of German. Excellent reading proficiency in Russian, English, and French. Excellent speaking proficiency in English and Russian. Close to native speaker proficiency in Russian (some days).
- During my studies in Computer Science from 1991 to 1995, I received a grant from the Cusanuswerk.
- In 1986, I won a third place in a nationwide Russian language studies competition for high-school students, Stuttgart, Germany.
- I like reading, in particular French-language and Russian-language works of fiction (mostly). I also love to read non-fiction about history, wars, and philosophers. More recently, I have started playing chess online.