- I got my specialist degree with honour in applied mathematics and computer science at Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia in 2007 and a PhD degree (with cum laude) in computer science supervised by professor Toon Calders and professor Paul De Bra at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) , the Netherlands in 2013
- My recent research focuses on knowledge and representation learning.
- IBM Coporate Technical Award for AutoAI 2021
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for "Toward automating the AI lifecycle with AutoAI" 2019
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for "z AI and Modernation for the z15" 2019
- My PhD thesis was nominated by the department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Eindhoven University of Technology in 2014. for the best PhD thesis award Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in December 2014
- Nominated for the best paper award at SIAM Data Mining Conference SDM 2012.
- Conference PC member: NeurIPS (2021, 2022), ICLR (2022, 2023), AAAI (2020, 2021, 2022), IJCAI (2020, 2021, 2022), ICML (2021, 2022), CIKM (2014, 2015, 2020, 2021, 2022), PKDD/ECML (2015, 2016, 2017)
- External reviewer: CIKM 2012, KDD (2011, 2012), SDM (2011, 2012)
- Journal reviewer: DAMI (Springer), Information System (Elsevier)
- I am a Kaggle competition master
- Thanh Lam Hoang, Gabriele Picco, Yufang Hou, Young-Suk Lee, Lam M. Nguyen, Dzung T. Phan, Vanessa López, Ramón Fernandez Astudillo: Ensembling Graph Predictions for AMR Parsing. NeurIPS 2021: 8495-8505
- Young-Suk Lee, Ramón Fernandez Astudillo, Hoang Thanh Lam, Tahira Naseem, Radu Florian, Salim Roukos: Maximum Bayes Smatch Ensemble Distillation for AMR Parsing. NAACL-HLT 2022: 5379-5392
- Hoang Thanh Lam, Beat Buesser, Hong Min, Tran Ngoc Minh, Martin Wistuba, Udayan Khurana, Gregory Bramble, Theodoros Salonidis, Dakuo Wang, Horst Samulowitz: Automated Data Science for Relational Data. ICDE 2021: 2689-2692
- Hoang Thanh Lam, Fabian Moerchen, Dmitriy Fradkin, Toon Calders: Mining Compressing Sequential Patterns. SDM 2012: 319-330
- Hoang Thanh Lam, Toon Calders, Ninh Pham: Online Discovery of Top-k Similar Motifs in Time Series Data. SDM 2011: 1004-1015
- Hoang Thanh Lam, Toon Calders: Mining top-k frequent items in a data stream with flexible sliding windows. KDD 2010: 283-292
- My work on automated feature engineering for relational data is a core part of the IBM Watson Studio AutoAI product.
I am part of the following open-source initiative:
- Graphene: graph ensemble learning for AMR parsing
- ZShot: a Spacy plug-in for few and zero shot for named entity recognition and classification with textual descriptions.