I currently lead a team of researchers working in the areas of telecom network cloud, network function virtualization, 5G and edge computing. The team focuses on aspects of performance analysis and optimization of network functions and enterprise workloads running as containers on Kubernetes, as well as cloud-native orchestration and management of network functions.
In my previous stint, I lead a team of researchers in the Blockchain and Smart Contracts Group at IBM Research - India. Our efforts were focussed on developing first-of-a-kind enterprise-grade blockchain solution networks (TradeLens) reimagining industry use cases in a blockchain world, contributing core platform capabilities to Hyperledger Fabric, blockchain interoperability and other value added services. Prior to that I was a part of the Cloud Computing Research Group.
I have been co-leading diversity and inclusion initiatives at IBM Research-India since 2019. I co-taught an online blockchain course together with Prof. Sandip Chakraborty on the NPTEL platform for 3 semesters in 2018-19. The course had over 50000 registrants over the three editions and was covered in the press.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in September 2010, advised by Prof. Tarek Abdelzaher. My PhD thesis was on Feasible Region Calculus, a fundamental theoretical analysis of timing issues in distributed systems. I received my B.Tech and M.Tech degrees from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India, in Computer Science and Engineering.
I have over 25 publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals and over 40 patents filed. I am a senior member of the IEEE.
Notable Awards and Distinctions:
- Best of IBM, 2017
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award in 2018 for for architecting and leading the development of Tradelens solution on Blockchain
- IBM Master Inventor 2016-2019, 2019-2022 (3 year terms)
- Inducted into IBM Academy of Technology in 2017
- Selected as an ACM India Eminent Speaker, 2015-17
- Received Best Paper Award at the Euromicro Conference on Real-Time systems, July 2009
- Received Best Student Paper Award at the Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems, July 2007
Projects that I have led or co-led have been in the press:
- "IBM and Maersk are Creating a New Blockchain Company", Fortune
- "Blockchain: A Better Way to Track Pork Chops, Bonds, Bad Peanut Butter?", NYTimes
- "IBM Launches Blockchain Accelerator Program", IBM
- "Dubai government, companies team up with IBM on blockchain project", Reuters
- "Bank consortia look to distributed ledgers and smart contracts to rewire trade finance", Finextra
- "Blockchain: The underlying Bitcoin technology that’s worth so much more", Firstpost