Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: Association for Computational Linguistics
Work Experience: [ CV ]
- NLP Chair, IBM, 2017 - present
- Research Scientist, IBM, 2014 - present
- Research Intern, Microsoft Research, Summer 2013
- Data & Tech Analyst Intern, Morgan Stanley, Summer 2011
- Session Chair
- NAACL 2018, Question Answering
Dr. Avi Sil is a Research Scientist in the Multilingual NLP group at IBM Research AI. He is also the Chair of the NLP professional community of IBM. Currently, he is working on industry scale NLP and Deep Learning algorithms. He is leading a team to work on Question Answering algorithms for the Google Natural Questions challenge and its applications outside. His research also includes Information Extraction: entity recognition and linking and relation extraction. He is a senior program committee member for major Computational Linguistics conferences including being an Area Chair several times. He has more than 12 US patents filed all in the area of Artificial Intelligence and it's applications in various spheres.
Avi finished his PhD in Computer Science under the supervision of his thesis advisor Alexander Yates. He also worked on Temporal Information Extraction in the Machine Learning Group at Microsoft Research, Redmond managed by Chris Burges and John Platt. His mentor was Silviu Cucerzan.
- (new) Our QA system is at Rank 2 (short answers) on the Google Natural Questions challenge.
- Slides from our ACL tutorial are now available here!
- Will be co-ordinating the EDL track at TAC KBP 2018 along with Heng Ji. Please consider participating.