Professional AssociationsProfessional Associations: American Mathematical Society (AMS) | IEEE | IEEE Circuits and System Society | IEEE Mid-Hudson Section | INFORMS
more informationMore information: Github | Identical Synchronization | Generalized Pigeonhole Principle | Accidental Desultory Cogitations | The triangle inequality and its converse | IBM Research Blog entry on Reinforcement Learning | A number a day to brighten your day | EEWeb interview | Find properties of integers | chwwutube | First IBM Research Workshop on the Informational Lens | CNNA 2010 | CNNA 2012 | CNNA 2021 | Call for papers: Cellular wave computing via nanoscale chip architectures | AMS Special Session on Mathematics through the Informational Lens
I am currently a principal research staff member in the Mathematics of AI group developing innovative solutions for modeling of complex processes and data analytics. Previously I have managed the Intelligent Energy Management group, the Distributed Digital Media Infrastructure group and the Foundations of Mathematics group.
- Foundations of nonlinear circuits & systems theory
- Dynamics in coupled networks of oscillators
- Synchronization of chaos
- Application of chaos to information processing
- Distributed video streaming
- Digital halftoning
- Document and multimedia security
- Algebraic graph theory
- Ph.D. electrical engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1995.
- M.A. mathematics, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1994.
- M.S. electrical engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1991.
- B.S. computer engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA, 1990.
- B.A. cognitive science, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA, 1990.
Professional activities, Awards and Honors
- Member, AMS.
- INFORMS Certified Analytics Professional
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Electronic and Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2013-2017)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clemson University.
- Webmaster/Social Media/Publicity Chair, IEEE Mid-Hudson Section. (Google sites) (Facebook) (blogger) (twitter)
- Board of Governors, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society, 2010-2011.
- General co-chair, 12th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, 2010.
- General co-chair, 13th IEEE International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, 2012.
- Organizing Committee Chair, AMS Special Session on Mathematics Through the Informational Lens, Joint Mathematics Meetings, 2022.
- Organizing Committee Chair, First IBM Research Workshop on the Informational Lens, 2020
- Organizing Committee Member, 9th International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, 2012.
- Organizing Committee Member, SIAM 2013 Annual Meeting.
- Organizing Committee Member, IMA Hot Topics Workshop: Mathematical and Computational Challenges in the Control, Optimization, and Design of Energy-Efficient Buildings, June 11-14, 2013.
- Senior Editorial Board Member, IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2014-2015, 2022-2023.
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, 2014-2015.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, 2016-2019.
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactionson Circuits and Systems, Part I, 1997-1999, 2002-2003, 2006-2007.
- Associate editor, IEEE Transactionson Circuits and Systems, Part II, 2004-2005.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, 2012-2013.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Nonlinear Circuits and Systems.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and Array Computing(Chairman: 2009-2010).
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Sensor Systems.
- Member, IEEE CAS Technical Committee on Multimedia Systems and Applications.
- Review Committee Member, IEEE ISCAS, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Session Chair, IS&T's NIP, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- Session Chair, IEEE ISCAS, 2002, 2004-2005, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Technical Committee Member, IEEE ICME2003, INDS 2008, INDS 2009.
- Industry mentor, MathematicalModeling Workshop, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota,2005,2006, 2008, 2011.
- IEEE Circuits and Systems Society's Distinguished Lecturer, 2006-2007
- ABET EAC program evaluator, 2006-, EAC commissioner 2018-
- Member, IEEE CEAA, 2016-2017.
- Digital Media Judge, Imagine Cup 2010 Finals.
- Moody's Mega Math Challenge Judge, 2011-2016.
- Contributor to Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences and Sympy development
- Holder of 76 U.S. Patents.
- IEEE R1 Technological Innovation Award, 2013.
Invited lectures and workshop presentations
- "Memristive Cellular Analog Arrays for Numerical Computation," CNNA 2021 Keynote talk, September 30, 2021.
- "Simplifying Deep Neural Networks via Look-up Tables and Product of Sums Matrix Factorizations," ISCAS 2020 Overview Lecture, October 17, 2020. (slides)
- "Graph Laplacian Matrices as Quantum State Density Matrices and their Entanglement Properties," ACM Poughkeepsie Chapter Talk, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York, May 22, 2017.
- "Eigenvalue bounds of matrices and control of networked dynamical systems," NYU Distributed Systems Lab Seminar, New York City, New York, May 5, 2017.
- "Geometric motifs in graphs on regular grids," 2016 IEEE International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Atlanta, Georgia, November 14-15, 2016.
- "Levy-Desplanques, Gersgorin and Beyond: Eigenvalue Bounds and Matrix Graphs," 2015 IEEE International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Perth, Australia, October 5-7, 2015.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2014: Transforming industries with Systems of Insight," Systems Seminar/Ezra's Round Table, Cornell University, November 14, 2014.
- "Pendant vertices in complex networks: separable graphs and control localization of weighted trees", 2014 IEEE International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks," Shanghai, China, October 25-26, 2014.
- "Control of Complex Networks of Coupled Dynamical Systems", 2012 International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks", University of Minnesota, September 5-7, 2012.
- "Locally Connected Processor Arrays for Matrix Multiplication and Linear Transforms", Seminar Series on Chaos, Control and Complex Networks, City University of Hong Kong, May 18, 2012.
- "Some Aspects of Multicoverage in Sensor Networks", Wireless and Optical Communications Conference, New Jersey Institute of Technology, April 15-16, 2011.
- "Can stubbornness or gullibility facilitate language formation? A study of various strategies for reaching consensus in a model of the naming game", Computer Science Colloquium, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, March 3, 2011.
- "More is More: the benefits of denser sensor deployment", Hong Kong CityU-PolyU Joint Seminar Series on Chaos and Complex Networks, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, HongKong, September 30, 2010.
- "Some graph-theoretical criteria for control in networks of dynamical systems", Invited lecture, 2010 International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Beijing, China, September 25-27, 2010.
- "Transformational Hybrid Systems: The Next Generation of System Architecture", Keynote talk, 12th IEEE CNNA, International Workshop on Cellular Nanoscale Networks and their Applications, Berkeley, CA, Feb 3-5, 2010.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2009" and "Synchronization and consensus in networks of coupled nonlinear circuits and systems," EECS/CASE Colloquium, Syracuse University, Oct. 14, 2009.
- "Graph Laplacian Matrices and Multipartite Entanglement in Quantum Mechanics," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom, July 20-22, 2009.
- "Sensor placement and coverage: tools from geometry and image processing,"Keynote talk, MITACS Workshop on Decision Support, Information Fusion and Sensor Networks, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, June 18-19, 2009.
- "Controland synchronization in systems coupled via a complex network," Hong Kong CityU-PolyU Joint Seminar Series on Chaos and Complex Networks, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, May 29, 2009.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2008," Presentations given at Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Peter Pazmany Catholic University, Budapest, Hungary, Dec4-5, 2008.
- "Localization of forcing sites to facilitate synchronization in systems coupled via a complex network," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Canberra, Australia, Oct1-3, 2008.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2008," Keynote talk, IEEE 11th International Workshop on Cellular Neural Networks and their Applications (CNNA 2008),Santiago de Compostela, Spain, July 16, 2008.
- "Digital Halftoning and Sensor Placement," BIRS Workshop on Low Complexity Dynamics, Banff, Alberta, Canada, May29, 2008.
- "SensorPlacement and Digital Halftoning," ComputerScience Colloquium, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, February 28, 2008.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2007," Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, October 15, 2007.
- "Synchrony and consensus in complex networks: an overview," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Guilin, China, July 19-21, 2007.
- "Identical Synchronization in Networks of Coupled Nonlinear Circuits and Systems," IEEE CAS Distinguished Lecturer Seminar, University of Calgary, Calgary,Alberta, Canada, May 11, 2007.
- "Global Technology Outlook 2007: How will it affect the workplace? How can we prepare for it?," SVC Lecture Series to Envision the Workplace of the Future: Its Technology, Design, and its Challenges to Employees, Southern Vermont College, Bennington, VT, March 22, 2007.
- "Algorithms for digital halftoning," The Twenty-Second Annual Mathematical Problems in Industry Workshop, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering,Needham, MA, June 12-16, 2006.
- "Some techniques for speeding up digital halftoning algorithms," BIRS workshop on Coarsely Quantized Redundant Representation of Signals,Banff, Alberta, Canada, March 11-16, 2006.
- "The optimality of the greedy algorithm in Carpool and Chairman Assignment Problems," Workshop on Geometric Dynamics with Singularities, Exeter, UK, Dec 13-16,2005.
- "Synchronization and consensus in networks of systems with nonreciprocal coupling," International Workshop on Complex Systems and Networks, Hong Kong, May 20, 2005.
- "The error diffusion halftoning algorithm: some stability results and applications beyond halftoning," Oversampling and Coarse Quantization for Signals Workshop, CSCAMM, University of Maryland, April 11-15,2005.
- "Halftoning, Watermarking and Scheduling: Some Applications of the Error Diffusion Algorithm," IMA/MCIM Industrial Problems Seminar, University of Minnesota,Oct. 15, 2004.
- "Global Asymptotical Stability of Neural Networks with Delay," ECE Lectures Series, Polytechnic University, Sept. 30,2004.
- "Synchronization in arrays of systems coupled via a graph:time-varying, nonreciprocal and delay coupling," International workshop onnonlinear dynamics and complexity in information and communication technology, Bologna, Italy, Sept 6-8, 2004.
- "Error diffusion: recent developments in theory and applications", Harmonic Analysis and Signal Processing Seminar, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University,Feb 11, 2004.
- C. W. Wu, Synchronization in complex networks of nonlinear dynamical systems, World Scientific, Singapore, 2007. (Table of contents, Preface, Chapter 1, Errata)
- C. W. Wu, Synchronization in coupled chaotic circuits and systems, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002. (Table of contents, Preface, Chapter 1)
- T. Nowicki, M. S. Squillante and C. W. Wu, "Fundamentals of Dynamic Decentralized Optimization in Autonomic Computing Systems," in Self-star Properties in Complex Information Systems: Conceptual and Practical Foundations, (O. Babaoglu, M. Jelasity, A. Montresor, et al. eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Hot Topics, vol. 3460, pp. 204-218, Springer-Verlag, 2005.
- C. W. Wu, ``Synchronization in Arrays of Coupled Chaotic Circuits and Systems: Theory and Applications,'' in Controlling Chaos and Bifurcations in Engineering Systems (G. Chen ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999.
- C. W. Wu, "Qualitative Analysis of Dynamic Circuits,'' in Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (J. Webster ed.), John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
- M. P. Kennedy and C. W. Wu, ``ABC: Adventures in Bifurcation and Chaos'', software accompanying Chua's circuit: A paradigm for Chaos (R. N. Madan, ed.), World Scientific, Singapore, 1993.
- Innovation Matters website about halftoning and its applications
- Article about digital halftoning in IBM research magazine.